While online marketing is becoming an increasingly important part of the mix, the very basis for its success is often ignored. Many companies are jumping straight into conducting online marketing campaigns without doing the upfront hard work of market research to help identify the key phrases to promote. Some basic research methods will significantly increase the chances of success.
As the old saying goes, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail". This is especially true for online marketing. Unless the initial market research on keywords and phrases in implemented successfully before the campaign, then it is doomed to fail. Too many companies are setting their online campaigns up for failure before they are even launched. However, by following a simple process marketers can significantly enhance the liklihood of success for their online campaigns.
The following market research process should be followed before any online campaigns are launched:
- Conduct qualitative research with your customers, and find out what search terms they use to find your type of service.
- Use the keyword tool in Google Adwords or Overture to identify other relevant phrases.
- Use the same tools to determine which key phrases have a reasonably high search volume.
- Put all of the relevant search terms into a list.
- Refine this list to the top key phrases that you want your marketing campaign to focus on.
It is only when the above market research process has been stringently followed that you can be sure your online marketing campaign has a solid chance of success.
About the Author Michael Kelly is Managing Director of Ridge Marketing, a company that provides Market Research , Online Marketing and Lead Generation solutions.