Verified by Visa (VbV) is a credit card authentication service that Visa developed to protect merchants accepting credit and debit cards over the internet. VbV benefits participating merchants in the following ways:
* Eliminates merchant liability for fraud resulting from the unauthorized Visa card payment processing.
* Reduces fraudulent transactions.
* Provides a safer place for customers to shop.
* in many cases lowers Visa credit card processing fees.
When implemented into an eCommerce merchant account, even if the credit or debit cardholder is not enrolled in Verified by Visa, or the card issuer is not participating, the merchant is not liable for certain fraud-related chargebacks. Visa provides a simple way for merchants to integrate VbV into their eCommerce websites and your payment processing partner should be able to provide you with the details.
To use Verified by Visa, credit and debit cardholders must first activate their cards. The activation can be done in one of several ways:
* Payment card issuers typically provide an online activation site and have integrated Verified by Visa activation in the card issuer's online banking site. Cardholders should have an easy access to the activation site or they can ask the issuer for assistance.
* Visa, card issuers, and participating merchants may display “Activation Anytime" banners or buttons that enable cardholders to activate their Visa card by clicking on the banner or button and following the prompts.
* Cardholders may also activate during shopping, on the merchant's website.
Once VbV is activated, a credit or debit card is automatically recognized when used for purchases at participating eCommerce stores. The cardholder is asked for his or her password; the password is verified; and the online transaction is completed. Cardholders will see a Verified by Visa symbol within the password window.
Ask your eCommerce payment processing providers for additional information and help with integrating and using this service.
Small Business Merchant Accounts
eCommerce Credit Card Processing