I frequently come across blogging tips on writing as if writing a post is all that matters in a blog. While writing is an important element of blogging, there's more to Blogging than writing.
One of my mistakes when I was new to blogging was to spend so much time writing my next post. I was worried that if my next post wasn't interesting enough or wasn't well written enough that somehow it might alienate my blog readers.
When writing my post, a usual problem that keeps recurring is the lack or absence of an idea for me to work with. To solve this problem, I resort to ‘Blog Scanning’ hopeful that I'll be able to pick a topic or get ideas from other blogs. This method wasn't always effective and helpful. In fact, the posts I wrote resulting from blog scanning were mediocre.
As an ardent and fervent believer that “Quality Content is King", I started to worry that my blog will soon die out if I don't come up with good contents to offer my blog readers. I found out a simple solution to this problem as I continue blogging. . . TO READ SOME MORE!
The Benefits of Reading
Since blogging thrives from valuable information, a blogger must first be well informed to be able to write informative posts. Hence, the need to read arises. Here are some of the benefits of reading according to research.
- Read better, write better and concentrate better.
- See subtleties quicker.
- Easier time processing new information.
- Better chance for a successful, fulfilling adult life.
- Have many interests and do well in a wide variety of subjects.
- Develop an ability to understand how other people think and feel.
- Acquire the ability to sift information and to understand how unrelated facts can fit into a whole.
- Tend to be more flexible in their thinking and more open to new ideas.
- Weather personal problems better without their schoolwork being affected.
There's no doubt. READING, makes bloggers better in blogging.
Useful Reading Tips
Here are some useful reading tips that has helped me make use of my time efficiently.
- Subscribe to Feeds of other blogs. Don't just subscribe to their feeds, make sure that you'll read them and that you're interested of their topics.
- Read a wide variety of blogs. Don't just limit yourself to blogs about SEO, try to check out blogs on technology, world news, etc. This will broaden your knowledge and will give you more ideas for your blog.
- Avoid “Blog Scanning". Read.
- Don't overwhelm yourself with reading assignments. Take one article at a time. And don't be in a hurry to finish them, make sure you're learning something.
- Take a rest after reading an article.
- Reading materials are not only available online. Read newspaper and magazines.
- Sometimes, it's better to print an article from the net than read it online. This is convenient when you want to change your reading environment.
- Make reading a habbit. Make it the first thing you do before you write your post for the day.
- Bookmark blogs you've found useful for an easier access next time.
At the moment, I find myself reading and networking for most of the times I spent online. While I still spend time to write my post, it wasn't like before. I have long underrated the power of reading and it won't happen again.
Do you still spend most of your time writing? How much time do you spend reading?
For more tips visit Blogging Tips from Blogging Mix.
Thanks for your time!
Rocky John M. Tayaban is the blogger behind Blogging Tips From Blogging Mix . He holds a degree on Financial Management from Saint Louis University (Philippines) and an Masters in Business Administration from Durham University (UK).