The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 specifically indicates what is not permissible when you are mailing commercial email. The fines and penalties are stiff, do before you begin an email campaign, be sure and understand the CAN-SPAM Act.
1) The CAN-SPAM act of 2003 specifically indicates that your heading and subject line must be truthful, and cannot be misleading. This includes your to and from address lines – they must include accurate information. Also, your subject line itself must accurately reflect the content of the email.
2) You must include a way for your subscriber to opt out of your email list, and within a specific time frame. You can do this by including a link within your email which unsubscribes them, in conjunction with your autoresponder service. You cannot sell or remail these leads under any different name.
3) All commercial email (and that includes just about everything you will be mailing, including the content emails) must include a valid postal address.
4) You cannot harvest or collect emails from web sites for the purpose of commercially emailing them.
5) You cannot use automated methods of creating email addresses and then sending them messages to detect which are real addresses and which are not.
6) You cannot use any kind of automated method of signing up with different email accounts for the purpose of mailing commercial emails.
7) You cannot use another person’s computer or any part of another person’s computer system or relay system to send emails without their knowledge and consent.
To read the actual language of the act, click here: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/canspam.htm
It is extremely important that you remain CAN-SPAM compliant. There are stiff fines and you can be prosecuted for breaking this law, as well as prosecution for false advertising and other deceptive tactics.
Do you want to learn more about how I do it? I have just completed my brand new guide to article marketing success, ‘Your Article Writing and Promotion Guide‘
Download it free here: Secrets of Article Promotion
Sean Mize is a full time internet marketer who has written over 1200 articles in print and 9 published ebooks.