Taking a wrong turn and ending up somewhere odd and unfamiliar is a feature of all good road trips. It’s not quite the same, after all, if you get from A to B without a bit on unscheduled excitement. However, some aspects of the road trip – such as cold hands and warm drinks – are things that, in 2018, you can certainly do without!
Luckily for you, technology companies around the world have come up with nifty gadgets ranging from essential companions to luxury indulgences, all designed to make the road trip more enjoyable without sacrificing its adventurous core.
Reliable phone reception and plenty of battery are things you just can’t do without these days. It is fun getting lost on a road trip but less fun when you cannot contact anyone for directions. These two gadgets will help you to stay on track and keep your friends in the loop as you go.
- Mobile Router – Although sometimes leaving the internet behind can seem like an attractive proposition, it is less handy when looking for the best bars and attractions in wherever you end up. The Netgear Around Town router allows you to set up a hotspot for up to ten people, so everyone in the car can share the adventure with friends back home.
- Power Pack – Whether it’s in the middle of a canyon or on the dancefloor, nothing is more frustrating than your phone battery dying on you. Bring plenty of good quality power packs with you so that your party can keep connected on the long drive.
As well as essential gadgets, it’s also handy to bring along a few bits of tech that make the overall journey more pleasant and enjoyable without breaking the bank.
- USB Heated Gloves – The saying might go ‘cold hands, warm heart’, but try telling that to your mate after a winter walk and they won’t be happy. These clever gloves help to keep hands warm whatever the weather, plugging easily into any USB jack.
- Light Diffuser – Small travel lamps are cheap and very useful. If the drive is a very long one, it’s unreasonable to think you will be talking and larking about all the way. With a few light diffusers, passengers can read or fiddle with maps when it gets dark without distracting the driver.
Now you have all the boring stuff sorted out, why not indulge in a few travel gadgets to make the trip extra-comfy?
- Coolest Cooler with Speaker – The coolest gadget in any car boot has to be this speaker and drinks cooler. As if it wasn’t already useful enough, it also comes with a blender and a cutting board. Amazing right!
- Travel Guitar – No road trip is complete without a good singalong. Make a fire, get out the marshmallows and bring a small Martin Steel String Backpacker guitar. With its small robust shape, this guitar doesn’t take up much room. Bring it along and you can be blasting out ‘Wonderwall’ in no time.
Of course, a very important component of any road trip is quality gadget travel insurance. With all the unexpected surprises and outdoor activities you’ll have planned, there are lots of potential risks for your phone and other gadgets while you are away. Focus on the road and the freedom of the trip by investing in some gadget travel insurance before you set off – you won’t regret it.
Ethan Bailey is an experienced adventure traveller and insurance expert with the team at Let's Go Insure. Ethan’s passion is to inspire his clients to go just that little bit further, deeper and higher on their travels and his expertise in providing the ideal insurance cover allows them to do just that. If you're looking for the best gadget travel insurance Let's Go works with the most experienced underwriters, intermediaries and insurers to offer a range of competitive insurance without compromising on cover.