For a good-value, family-friendly holiday, summer in La Tania is always a good option. The resort was built for the 1992 Winter Olympics, its buildings scattered across a picturesque woodland scene. The village itself is fairly small but has everything you need – and for me, that’s part of its charm. But what really makes summer in La Tania so special is the range of activities on offer. Once the ski season passes, the area turns into a giant playground, with countless walking, hiking and biking routes to explore.
And the fun won’t stop there with your summer in La Tania. One of my favourite day trips is to Lake Annecy, a huge expanse of smooth, blue water north-west of La Tania. Annecy itself is a beautiful city full of cobbled streets, winding canals and historic architecture – it’s definitely worth a visit.
But if it’s activities you’re after, then head to the lake. Surrounded by spectacular mountains and quaint villages, Lake Annecy is the perfect setting for a wide variety of activities that will make your summer in La Tania one to remember. Here are my recommendations for the best activities on and off the water.
On the Water
- Swimming – Even though it’s lovely all the way around the lake, I would recommend Talloires for a good swimming base. This former commune is a 20-minute drive from Annecy and has a laid back atmosphere with views of a stunning castle.
- Water skiing – Lake Annecy is a popular destination for water sports and a great way to explore the lake. Although the winter ski season may be over, summer is the time for water skiing, with most companies offering packages for all levels of experience.
- Wakeboarding – Ditch the skis for a board and see if you can create your own style on the water. Wakeboarding is a fun, exhilarating experience that the whole family will enjoy.
- Paddleboarding – Whether you prefer to lie, kneel or stand, hiring a paddleboard is a good idea for a more leisurely water based activity. It’s great for soaking up the magical scenery and making the most of the smooth water.
- Boating – There are plenty of options when it comes to hiring a boat, with paddle boats, kayaks, sail boats and row boats on offer at a number of locations around the lake.
Off the Water
- Cycling – If you’d rather stay on dry land, try hiring a bike and cycling around the lake’s perimeter. It’s a good option if you want to stop off at the villages and learn about the local culture. Alternatively, hire a mountain bike and follow one of the inland routes.
- Tennis – Get on the court and settle any family feuds with a game of tennis. Tennis Club Annecy-le-Vieux has plenty of outdoor courts, some indoors and private instructors if you need any coaching.
- Rollerblading – For an alternative to cycling, rollerblading is guaranteed to provide a few laughs and make your summer in La Tania a special trip. Rollerblades can be rented at various locations.
These options are only a taste of what’s on offer at Lake Annecy. It’s a truly special destination that keeps on entertaining visitors from around the world. But remember: although it’s an activity lover’s paradise, it’s also a great place to relax!
Belinda Smythson works for Ski Amis, a specialist ski travel agency and booking service that has been helping avid skiers craft their perfect winter or summer holiday for over a quarter of a century. If you're looking for the best chalet for summer in La Tania, Ski Amis is the go-to company for those searching for the holiday of a lifetime in the French Alps.