Already on ArticleSlash?

Forgot your password? Sign Up

Have Your House Contents Covered


Visitors: 283

Home contents insurance is one of the most widely purchased forms of UK insurance policy; covering many risks from around the home, so many in fact that often people are simply unaware of the level of cover they have purchased. Therefore, they may end up buying unnecessary and sometimes expensive additional insurances, while being blissfully unaware that they are already covered under their home insurance policy.

Anyone purchasing insurance should diligently read their policy documents to find out exactly what added extras are included. As home contents insurance policies can vary from insurer to insurer, reading the policy document from first page to last is the best way to find what is included with your cover, and what also may be excluded. From doing so, this will allow you to make other arrangements to get covered elsewhere, should it be required.

For example, mobile phone insurance is often offered at point of purchase by all the major network operators to cover loss, theft or damage to your handset. But, many mainstream UK-based insurers already offer cover for personal possessions that are temporarily taken outside the home as part of their home contents policies. Such cover invariably includes mobile phone handsets, as well as cash and credit cards.

Depending upon the insurer, there may be an additional monthly amount to pay for that level of cover; but the extra premium is often cheaper than purchasing a separate mobile phone insurance policy and also covers many more items than just the handset. Most insurers also extend personal possessions cover to trips abroad, providing that the policy holder doesn’t exceed a maximum number of days out of the country per trip.

Another less-well known type of cover offered with many contents insurance policies covers the insured for loss of keys and provides for the cost of replacing house locks. An example of such an incident would be the theft of a handbag containing house keys and documents that identify the owner’s address, such as a driving licence.

Other more widely-known cover offered with contents insurance includes accidental damage cover against certain possessions such as TVs, computers, videos and other electrical equipment. Again some insurers offer this type of cover as standard, whilst others will add an amount to the insurance premium if the coverage is required as an optional extra.

It is important to remember that the level of cover for any of the features mentioned will vary according to the insurer. Therefore, if you are looking for insurance and require a particular cover then make sure that it is included at the time you request your home contents insurance quote.

Victoria Cochrane writes for a digital marketing agency. This article has been commissioned by a client of said agency. This article is not designed to promote, but should be considered professional content.


Article Source:

Rate this Article: 
Accidental Damage A Useful Add On to Most Contents Policies
Rated 4 / 5
based on 5 votes

Related Articles:

House Contents Insurance Whats Really Cover

by: Simon R Smith (August 04, 2009) 
(Insurance/Home Owners Renters)

Protect Your Belongings With House Contents Insurance

by: David H Thomson (June 21, 2008) 
(Insurance/Personal Property)

A Green House is a Clean House - Make Your House Eco Friendly

by: Wendy Pan (October 09, 2008) 
(Home Improvement)

What Really is Contents Insurance?

by: Liza Mathers (September 13, 2008) 
(Insurance/Home Owners Renters)

The Contents of an Accounting Scorecard

by: Sam Miller (June 25, 2008) 

Home Contents Insurance

by: Abdullah Memon (May 19, 2011) 

Outsourcing Scorecard and Its Key Contents

by: Sam Miller (July 04, 2008) 

Home Contents Insurance

by: Brigitta Schwulst (October 09, 2008) 
(Insurance/Personal Property)

Insure - Home and Contents

by: Jon Elton (October 19, 2008) 
(Insurance/Home Owners Renters)

Accidental Damage A Useful Add On to Most Contents Policies

by: Adam R. Singleton (June 30, 2008) 
(Insurance/Home Owners Renters)