Plastic surgery can be covered by your medical insurance plan. Most major medical plans will cover reconstructive plastic surgery. What this means, is that if you require surgery to correct an abnormality in your body that is congenital (inherited) or developmental or if the abnormality is a result of disease, trauma, tumors, or infection, then the surgery is reconstructive. That is the American Medical Association's (AMA) definition.
According to this same organization cosmetic surgery is elective. It is done primarily to reshape normal body structures as a means of improving the patient's self-esteem and appearance.
There are several important things to remember. First, neither your doctor or the AMA makes the final call as to what is reconstructive and what is cosmetic-the insurance company does. For example in the not so distant past, circumcision on newborn boys was considered reconstructive and all insurance polices covered it. Today, a great many insurance companies no longer cover infant circumcision because they now view it as cosmetic.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons as compile a list of surgical procedures that you insurance company may consider covering. The are:
(1) Nasal surgery provided the surgery is performed to correct problem breathing or a deformity of birth or disease.
(2) Ear surgery to correct a birth, disease, or injury deformity.
(3) Breast surgery to correct asymmetry (one breast larger than the other). Or to reduce larger breasts that cause health problems for the lungs or back. And to reduce large male breasts.
(4) Facial surgery only if it is to rebalance the face after a stroke.
(5) Hand surgery to treat Dupuytren's contracture, carpal tunnel, nerve and tendon injuries and deformities.
(6) Eyelid surgery is often approved to correct problems that interfere with vision or to correct a deformity due to injury or disease.
If you are considering plastic surgery of any type consult with your insurance company and your surgeon to see if your procedure is covered.
Are you aware whether your plastic surgery procedure is covered under insurance or not? Find out more about plastic surgery costs . Visit http://www.cosmeticsurgery-cost.com/ to discover in depth details.