Even if you are a seasoned glue-and-paper scrapbooker, digital scrapbooking can present you with some unique ways to capture your special memories. Even if you don't consider yourself to be comptuer savvy you can create digital scrapbooks, thanks to free digital scrapbook templates.
Digital scrapbook templates can make compiling an album easier on you because the scrapbooking paper, titles, frames, embellishments or stickers are already in place for you! You don't need to spend hours searching for co-ordinating products and deciding on a layout. All you need to do is add your photographs and some journaling or captions, and presto: a completed layout before you know it! Essentially, digital scrapbook templates are like premade kits that take the guesswork out of creating a complete, co-ordinated layout.
If you've never ventured into digitals scrapbooking, using free digital scrapbook templates can be a good place to start. You can get a feel for digital scrapbooking without having to spend a dime. If you enjoy it, you may want to move into more advanced digital scrapbooking programs that are available for purchase.
Often, free digital scrapbook templates are available as samples, usually with themes that will appeal to a large number of people.
Common themes are wedding, baby, anniversary, seasonal (Christmas, fall, summer, beach). The sites that offer these free templates do so in the hopes that you will become hooked and will return to their site to buy some of their materials.
What Are Digital Scrapbook Templates, anyway?
In a nutshell, free digital scrapbook templates are nearly finished scrapbook pages, often referred to as “pre-made pages" or “pre-made layouts". Using them is as easy as following a few basic steps:
- Once you find a site that has template you want, downlaod the file. Usually, this will be in a “png" file, and some will be “zipped. " This just means that the files have been condensed to save file space and download time. Unzip your downloads and save them to a computer folder. (If you aren't familiar with zipped files, don't worry. Most template sites will walk you through this simple process. "
- Open the software you will use with your digital template. There is no need to buy a specialized program to start - MS Word will work just fine.
- Scan the photos you want to use (or locate the digital photo files on your computer).
- Open the free digital scrapbook template that you want to use. Open your photo files, and add your photos to the template page. Crop the photos if necessary to fit into the pre-determined opening.
- You can always change the colors of the paper in the template if it doesn't match or complement the photos you have chosen. Although every program is different, there is definitely a “paintbrush" feature that will allow you to alter the colors.
- Add some journalling. Create a box on your layout and record the memories associated with the photos. This an be as short as a caption or a lengthy paragraph. Whatever will help others understand why you cherish the photos is what you should include in your journalling.
- When you are happy with your layout, choose the “flatten layers" option (again, this will vary by program) and save the layout as a new file.
Article written by Alecia Lehmann . . . a Scrapbook enthusiast! If you enjoyed this article and would like to gather some more free scrapbooking tips and ideas, go to http://www.megascrapbooking.com . . . take your next project to another level!