Well, fall is arriving and the weather is starting to change. My kids love to play outside and do various activities. I believe in keeping my kids active for my sanity and theirs. They have video games and such but are limited to how much I allow them to play with them. Looking around you see the childhood obesity rate rising and I have been a victim of weight issues most of my life. For this I keep my kids active so I can help fight this for my childrens sake.
I find that I am not all that comfortable with my kids outside alone. The dangers of this world have often dictated how parents are with their children. I have read that it is these factors that have brought kids indoors and less active. I can see where that would hold true as I fear those same things. Even living in a house with a backyard I often fear someone coming in when I am not looking. As parents we have to fight back and find ways to give our children the play time and activity in their life.
Some ideas for activities in the fall and winter are:
- Have the kids help with housework. Sweeping and vacuuming can provide movement and activity.
- If you live in an area with snow it does help to have them help with the shoveling. Knowing they won't do much they can always assist and it is great exercise.
- Raking leaves and bagging them into creative bags can be fun and worth while for kids. It also provides exercise.
- When weather is good you can always do family bike rides. A short 30-40 minute ride can be a great bonding experience for families and keep your family active.
- Teach kids relaxation techniques. Yoga is a great relaxation exercise that provides great exercise, excellent relaxation of mind, and keeps you flexible.
- Indoor activities such as bowling can be great exercise and fun for the whole family.
If you have a child like my daughter that is not all that into sports you can still teach them to play and be active in general. My daughter often fights play time and wants to do her thing, but I just keep taking her out to do different things. She has learned to like a few of them and she stays active.
Keep your kids active for at least 1 hour a day. Let them explore their creative side and burn energy. As a full time working parent it is hard to find that hour, and the dangers of letting them be outside alone can make us hesitant. I will take an hour of my day and let them run around and play.
Keeping kids active and slowly changing their diet to a more balanced lifestyle will aid parents in fighting obesity. They will learn good habits and not battle with weight like the majority of adults these days. As parents we can do our part to keep our kids from being statistics and that is well worth the time.
You're a beautiful Woman