Do you like what you have but don’t like your room? Here’s the solution: pull your rooms together so they look finished and professionally decorated by following these techniques to add the “wow” to your rooms! (I’ve used them in hundreds of homes!).
1. Paint the walls and ceiling a rich, warm neutral color or one of the colors in your room’s fabrics. Your furnishings will immediately look more at home. I call it “marrying your architecture to your furnishings”.
2. Next, move your seating away from the walls and group it around a fireplace, a view window or any logical focal point.
3. Now, add a generous area rug to accent and unify your entire seating area.
4. Fill any empty looking corners with large plants and soft up-lights. Add a decorative, folding screen for a fuller look.
5. Place your lamps to evenly and softly light your seating area. Use additional lighting to accent your artwork, collections and accessories.
6. Create a focal point on the coffee table by elevating one of your favorite accessories on a stack of several books (sans covers). This will give your treasure more “presence”. Then add a low, full green plant or a blooming orchid and a couple of large, glowing candles. If you like a fuller look, use a decorative tray or runner underneath.
7. Lastly, be sure to decorate the top half of your room (from the furniture up), with tall plants, window treatments, artwork and that wall color. The room will feel considerably larger, more interesting and most importantly … finished!
These few changes will make all the difference so you can start enjoying living in a beautiful home!
Mary L. Brown of One Day Design is an interior re-designer who specializes in quickly transforming rooms using the furniture, accessories, and artwork people already have to give them a professionally decorated look! She's been featured on FOXTV, NBC and HGTV. Download Mary’s FREE “Top 10 Decorating Mistakes (and How to Avoid or Fix Them!)” and sign up for her FREE decorating eNewsletter at http://www/OneDayDesign.com