Several Years ago while I was shopping for Christmas I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the holiday arrangements at the department store I was in.
I was dazzled by the sight, golden branches wrapped in twinkling white lights. The idea was so simple but yet absolutely beautiful.
Within a moment I decided I would re-create it at home. Once home, I took a walk in the woods to gather the necessary branches and the other materials were easily found at my local craft store.
I created three trees that year and placed them on my front porch; two smaller ones on the left side of the door and a larger one to the right. The effect was just what I had hoped for~ a golden glow that welcomed family and friends into my home for the holidays.
Materials Needed for One Tree:
Large tree branch that “looks” like a small tree
Gold spray paint
String of white lights
Plastic garbage bag
1. Find a large tree branch that when held on its end, looks like a small tree.
2. Fill a garbage bag with soil, enough to support the weight of the branch when inserted. Insert the branch and pack the soil around it so it stands upright. Tie the bag securely around bottom of branch. Shape the bag of soil so it looks like the root ball when you buy a new tree from the nursery. *Note-it will be heavy so work fairly close to where you want your final project so you don’t have too far to move it.
3. Spray entire tree with gold spray paint and let it dry.
4. Wrap “root ball” in gold fabric and secure with gold cording.
5. String with white lights.
Since creating my golden Christmas trees I have seen a similar project where the tree was spray painted white and the “root ball” was covered with colorful holiday fabric. Either way, it makes a festive holiday display. Enjoy the holidays!
Candee Stark is a Reading Specialist in a local elementary school and has spent the last two and a half years earning her masters degree. Her new passion is her indoor herb garden. Visit her at Flowers and Garden.com if you would like to read more gardening and flower articles .