Alzheimer’s is a disease that usually gets worse over time and what starts with short-term memory loss eventually results in language problems, disorientation, behavioral issues and even loss of body functions. Seeing your loved one getting worse with a disease like this can be devastating and nerve wrecking. Moreover, there comes a time, when it becomes impossible to take care of the patient at home and it is advisable to put them in a memory care facility that can provide constant supervision and take care of their needs.
However, one thing that you should always remember is that not all the memory care facilities are prepared to take care of the patients with Alzheimer’s and dementia. The facility that you select should be certified by the state to offer special care required by such patients. Here are some questions that you should ask before finalizing a memory care center in Rhode Island.
Questions to ask yourself
Before deciding a memory care center, one of the first things you need to know about is the level of care required by your loved one. You need to ascertain the factors like patient’s mobility, behavioral tendencies, aggression problems, etc.before selecting a care center. “What level of assistance they require for eating, toileting”, “Do they need constant supervision” or “What kind of medications do they have to take?” - These are just a few questions; you should get an answer to before finalizing a Centre.
Questions to ask about the facility
1. Is the facility secure and in a safe neighborhood?
2. What is the staff to resident ratio? How are the current residents treated?
3. Is the staff trained to handle all levels of dementia and Alzheimer’s?
4. Are the meals provided nutritious and specialized according to individual taste and dietary requirements?
5. Is a doctor available round the clock to handle medical emergencies?
6. What kinds of facilities (like housekeeping, laundry, etc. ) are provided?
7. What types of programs (like yoga, aerobics, games, pet therapy, music therapy, etc. ) are offered by the facility?
8. How often does the center update the family about the patient’s condition?
9. What is the payment structure? What is inclusive in the fee and what is charged extra?
10. What is the discharge policy of the center?
Going unannounced at a center will help you see how it really functions. If you choose the right facility for memory care in Rhode Island, it will improve upon the quality of life of the patient. They will be happy when they are in the company of other patients like themselves and knowing that your loved one is happy, safe and under proper care, you will also get the much needed peace of mind.
The Elms Retirement Residence, Inc . , in operation since 1985 located in Westerly, Rhode Island and within driving distance from Connecticut, offers independent or assisted senior living and memory care services with a wide range of amenities and facilities to the elders. To get to know the signs of early dementia at work, you may visit About.com.