Already on ArticleSlash?

Forgot your password? Sign Up

How to Get a Passport Record


Visitors: 163

Whether for personal interest or genealogical research, a passport record can be easily obtained. If you want to obtain copies of your passport records, you have two options available depending on the date of the record you seek.

Passport Record Issued From 1925 to the Present

Request your record

Passport Services keeps U. S. passport records for all passports issued from the year 1925 to the present. Usually these records consist of a person's application for a U. S. passport as well as supporting evidence to show that the applicant is a U. S. citizen and is protected by law by the Privacy Act of 1974. The passport record will not contain evidence of travel such as visas, entrance or exit stamps, residence permits, etc. All of this information is put into the passport book after its issuance.

According to the Privacy Act, you are allowed to obtain copies of records in your name plus the records of any of your minor children. In order to request these records, you must submit a clearly printed or typed NOTARIZED request that provides the following information:

  • Your full name at birth as well as an other name changes and/or the full names of your minor children in the event that you are requesting their records;
  • Your place and date of birth and the dates of birth of your minor children
  • Current mailing address;
  • Daytime telephone number or cell phone number;
  • Current e-mail address, if you have one;
  • Reason for request;
  • Dates or the estimated dates that your passports were issued;
  • Passport numbers or any other pertinent information that will help in locating your records;
  • Copy of your photo ID

The search for your passport record will be free provided you have a notarized request. However, you will have to pay a $60.00 search fee for every person, other than yourself and any of your minor children;

Certified Passport Records

You may request copies of certified passport records. That fee will be $30.00 for the first certified copy and $20.00 for every copy after that. You can make out a money order or a check payable to the “Department of State".

Third-Party Requests

These requests must include one of the following:

  • Proof of guardianship
  • Notarized consent from owner of passport records

  • Death certificate, or

  • A court order that is signed by a judge of competent jurisdiction who requests the State Department to release the passport records.

The only exception to this rule is when the passport's owner was born at least 100 years ago. Your third party request need not be notarized but should include all other information described in the above section. You also have to pay a $60.00 search fee for every person for whom you are requesting a record. You should send all of the information to the following address:

Mailing address

Department of State Passport Services
Research and Liaison Section
Room 500
111119th Street, N. W.
Washington, D. C. 20524-1705

Passport Records Issued Before 1925

Need a passport record that goes back before 1925? You'll have to turn to The National Archives and Records Administration. They keep passport records that date from 1795 to 1925. You may write to them at the following address:

National Archives and Records Administration
Archives 1
Reference Branch
8th & Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC

Visit U. S. Passport Service Guide for comprehensive information on how to get a U.S.passport and/or travel visa to popular destinations worldwide.


Article Source:

Rate this Article: 
Arizona Passport - Where to Apply For a Passport in Arizona
Rated 4 / 5
based on 5 votes

Related Articles:

How to Get a Passport Fast - The Quick, No-Stress Way to Rush Your Passport ..

by: William Manor (January 30, 2011) 
(Travel and Leisure)

Surrender Indian Passport on acquisition of foreign passport

by: Uday Patel (December 21, 2011) 
(Legal/Regulatory Compliance)

Expedited Passport Service - How Fast Can You Get a Passport?

by: William Manor (January 04, 2011) 
(Travel and Leisure)

Do You Need a Passport Book Or Passport Card?

by: William Manor (August 17, 2008) 
(Travel and Leisure)

Record Deals - 7 Hot Tips For Getting Signed to Record Labels

by: Traci Crowley (August 14, 2008) 
(Arts and Entertainment/Music)

Criminal Record - Search For Public Record

by: Romi Rochard (December 10, 2008) 

Passport To Wealth A Scam? Passport To Wealth Review

by: David Thomas Lake (December 24, 2007) 
(Home Based Business/Network Marketing)

Record Levels of Sales Shopping Combine with Record Levels of Personal Debt

by: Cynthia Curry (December 30, 2007) 
(Finance/Personal Finance)

Criminal Record Lookup - How to Instantly Find Any Criminal Record Online For ..

by: Maria C. Jacobs (December 15, 2008) 

Arizona Passport - Where to Apply For a Passport in Arizona

by: William Manor (January 04, 2011) 
(Travel and Leisure/Destination Tips)