At least two months before the delivery of the baby, you should be busy with preparing the nursery room. It is towards the later stage of your pregnancy when you will get tired more easily, and thus it is good for you to prepare the nursery room earlier.
Another important point to realise is that preparing for the arrival of the baby is not a one time thing. Preparing for the arrival of the baby involves buying diapers, milk bottles, baby cribs, baby strollers, beddings, toys, even the digital thermometer and baby clothes, and an never ending list of other things for the baby. Each purchase takes time because there are decisions to be made in selecting the best things for the baby. Once the baby accessories are purchased, you need to put them in the proper place in the nursery room, which is going to be a very important place in the house.
How then should you decorate the baby nursery room?
There is tremendous joy in putting up a nursery room as each baby item in the nursery takes its place, and the entire nursery takes form into a proper place for the new baby.
The most important considerations for decorating the nursery room are to ensure that the items in the room are safe for the baby and that there are no items or placement that jeopardise the safety and the health of the baby. Any decoration must enhance the nursery as the place of comfort and rest for the baby as he or she grows in stature and in time.
Let me share with you some easy to implement but very important ideas:
1. The nursery room is the special place of the new born baby who will grow. So any decorations and baby items must be purchased with a view of providing the best opportunities for a baby to sleep and to grow. In other words, it is important that items like baby cribs must be purchased with a short term viewpoint that the baby will soon outgrow the crib when he is around 2 to 3 years old. At the same time, any of his bedding will need to be replaced as he outgrows the crib and will need a proper children bed. There is simply no need to purchase the most expensive crib available, but it is important to purchase the most functional bed as befitting his age and growth.
2. Functional considerations means bedding material must be of materials that are easily washed, cleaned and ironed. Baby like color fabrics, and so bright colors will add a new glow to the nursery room. Unless you can lower the restraining sides of a baby crib and use the bed as a changing place for the baby, you might need to purchase a separate desk or changing table with ample space for to place the baby during changing of nappies or wiping the baby.
3. Babies like toys and baby items that dangle in front of them to provide them with lots of amusement and fun. You can place a mobile or bright colored pictures hanging off the top of the crib or attached to the side of the crib where he can try to reach out to play with it. This can also help train the motor reflexes and coordination of the baby as well.
4. Consider calming colors and pictures in the nursery. It is usual to see lots of lovely pictures of smiling babies in the nursery and generally an avoidance of yellow colors which seems to distress the baby. Calming colors such as light blue or green are many times preferred. The important thing to remember is that a baby is constantly in a stage of growth, and colors chosen should be able to last for a certain period of the baby's growth or age, so that while changing of colors might be necessary, very frequent changes in the nursery room colors are to be avoided, as each change induces stress to the baby who will need time to get accustomed to newer colors in the surroundings.
5. Improve the quality of the room. For example, you can help improve the quality of the air in the nursery by fitting in an ioniser and an air filter to ensure the air quality is the best, and that impurities in the air are filtered off. Also ensure that while you might be cleaning the room often, avoid the use of chemicals as much as possible, as undue chemical exposure might be detrimental to a young child later on in life. There are many auto immune diseases that are considered idiopathic or unexplained causes which are attributed to one time exposure of chemicals during a child's young life when his immune system is weak and still developing. Another item to consider is the use of air conditioner during the hotter summer months.
Decorating the nursery room for a baby involves a lot of thinking and planning, and transcends the use of themes, styles, colors and structure. The important thing is to ensure everything is in harmony with each other, so that the baby can be most comfortable staying in the room, and you as the parent, can be happy in the nursery as well because that is going to be the most important place in the home and also the place where you will be spending a lot of time with your baby.
To view the latest nursery decorating items and baby accessories that I talked about in this article, visit The Babycare Planet , an online store packed with resources and products that meet the needs of the new born and growing baby. For visitors of Australia and New Zealand, there are special baby resources for your local region at The Aussie Babycare Zone .