When I began this series, little did I know that it would strike a chord with so many readers. So I decided that I needed to expand into another realm; that of our canine friends. After all, they have feelings and personalities too. I have owned a virtual menagerie of pets from turtles to a rabbit and everything in between. Currently, I have a Shih-Tzu named Suzi and did devote one article to her last year. She’s in her senior years and typical of many dogs that I have known.
They share many traits and could be considered man’s best friend, except for all the female pet owners in the world. But I feel confident I could describe many of her characteristics which are common to other breeds fairly accurately and therefore shall share my attempt to do so here. Therefore, in no particular order, here are my thoughts on the mind of those happy hounds, playful pups, and pretty pooches:
- As puppies, they are as about as darn cute as anything ever placed on this earth.
- As adults, they can still be as cute as a puppy or as ugly as can be, depending on how they were bred .
- They can laze around and do absolutely nothing for hour after hour.
- They know exactly when it’s feeding time and will whine incessantly to prove it.
- They can lick and lick and then, find new places to lick.
- They love to have their belly’s rubbed.
- They enjoy having the back of their ears rubbed.
- They like to have their neck scratched.
- In other words, they love to have anything rubbed or scratched.
- They understand the word, “dinner” but not “stop” or “no. ”
- They like to sleep where it’s warm, like where the sun shines.
- When they’re in the car, they want the window open so they can feel the breeze.
- They love to go for a walk, anywhere, at anytime, with anyone.
- They are faithful and friendly until someone else offers them a steak-bone to chew.
- They have good hearing and can tell when someone approaches the front door.
- They will bark for attention, when they want to be fed, when they see another dog, when they see a cat, when they are startled, when they are bored, when they are happy, when they are…
- They hate sudden, loud noises they can’t understand.
- They love to go to the park and sniff other dog’s poop.
- They even love to smell their own poop, for some strange reason.
- They enjoy fetching a stick or ball, until they’re bored or hungry or it’s time to lick themselves again.
- Did I mention that they like to lick?
Jeffrey Hauser was a sales consultant for the Bell System Yellow Pages for nearly 25 years. He graduated from Pratt Institute with a BFA in Advertising and has a Master's Degree in teaching. He had his own advertising agency in Scottsdale, Arizona and ran a consulting and design firm, ABC Advertising. He has authored 6 books and a novel, “Pursuit of the Phoenix. " His latest book is, “Inside the Yellow Pages" which can be seen at his website, http://www.poweradbook.com Currently, he is the Marketing Director for http://www.thenurseschoice.com a Health Information and Doctor Referral site.