As a dog owner you are responsible to potty train your dog. If you potty train your dog, it will save you the messy job of cleaning up your dog’s poop and pee. It is best to potty train your dogs when they are still young or puppies. Young puppy needs to poop or pee 15-20 minutes after eating or drinking. If you don’t potty train your dog, your life will be miserable cleaning up your dog’s mess around your house.
- The first step to potty train your dog is to take him to the same spot every time he needs to poop or pee. This will train him to recognize the spot or place by smell where he needs to go back to pee or poop.
- Take him outside on scheduled time daily. In the morning when he wakes up, after his meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks), after his naps and before bedtime.
- You need to observe your dog’s behavior before he pee or poop to know the signs when you need to take him outside. Dogs usually sniff the floor and squat before they eliminates. Watch your dog carefully for signs to know if you need to take him outside.
- It’s better for your dog to learn to go outside on his own. Your dog needs to recognize a definite word or phrase each time he needs to pee or poop. You can say “go outside and poop”, by repeating the words your dog will recognize this as a command each time he needs to poop or pee.
- You need patience to potty train your dog. If he pee or poop inside the house or in your carpet, don’t yell. Just ignore him and clean up.
- Praise your dog when he followed your instructions and training.
You need a lot of patience and time to potty train your dog but bear in mind that if you succeed, your life will be easier. You will raise a well behaved dog that you can be proud of and enjoy.
There are cases that dog owners are unsuccessful in training their own dog due to dog’s behavior problems and aggressiveness. On this case you need help from the experts for your dog’s obedience training.
Did you know that there are dog owners who solved their dog’s behavior problems immediately? Earn your dog’s respect and obedience visit Dog’s Obedience raining.
Gerry Restrivera writes informative articles on various subjects including How to potty train your dog.