Mold is a growing concern and a basement is a great place for mold to grow. Mold and mildew are musty smelling fungi that thrive in moist conditions. Keeping humidity down reduces the chances for mold to grow. In general, mold will not grow at less than 50% relative humidity! Of course, any groundwater, plumbing or other leaks should be fixed, as part of a strategy to eliminate mold.
A house dehumidifier will keep your home below 50% relative humidity, thus helping to prevent the growth of mold and drying up existing mold - removing that musty smell and you may be able to start inviting people around again.
It is during the rain that the humidity level reduces. When the rain stops, the atmosphere then begins to get warmer and the humidity level rises again increasing the amount of water vapor in the air. At this point molds and mildews begin to grow as these conditions suit them best and when this happens you are in trouble because it is the molds and mildew which create that musty smell.
House dehumidifiers come in various types. Mechanical/refrigerant and desiccant humidifiers are the most popular choice for most households. These models may be gas fired or electrically activated. They can be installed near the furnace or in ducts. There are also portable house dehumidifiers available that you can carry around the house.
Try and pick up a portable dehumidifier if you can because that way you can move it around the house wherever you see fit.
For vital information on all things concerned with Dehumidifiers and Preventing Molds visit our Basement Dehumidifiers Website