What do people want most when spending money on a product and service? If you answered something around the arena of getting the best bang for their buck you are thinking along the right track. This is exactly what homeowners looking into replacing their roofs are looking for. They want to get a reliable option in materials and labor at a realistic cost. When looking into replacing a roof consumers are interested in something inexpensive, few, simple maintenance requirements and longevity.
When looking into replacement roofing there are many options available to homeowners. The roofing materials that are available to you will also depend a lot on the region in which the home is in. For instance, in Michigan we find that clay roofing tiles are not a feasible option in roofing material. The cold temperatures and drastic climate changes would not play well with this fragile option. However, in a southwestern climate clay roofing tiles are a popular option because they don’t dry rot, burn or are not easily damaged by insect wear and tear. They require a small amount of maintenance helping to maintain their popularity within certain regions within the United States.
Popular options for Michigan homes tend to lean towards materials that are viable in the changing climate. Shingle roofs and metal roofing remain a solid choice for homeowners within this region. Shingle roofs are by far the most common material used in roofing within the region. There are several types of composition shingle roofing materials including higher quality, more durable asphalt shingles and fiberglass shingles which also may include recycled content.
Shingle roofs, often known as composition or asphalt shingle roofs, offer many advantages over other roofing materials especially for those of us that live within a climate such as Michigan where the season changes are inevitable.
- The style of home that the material can be used on is a wide range. Whether the home is historic, contemporary, modern or classic shingles are aesthetically pleasing.
- Shingle roofing material tends to be a less expense option when compared to other roofing material such as metal.
- The durability can be increased using higher quality architectural shingles. Although many homeowners find the low-cost 3-tab shingles a viable option for their needs and desires.
- The variety of colors, types and manufactures also make this option popular. Complementary shingle colors should be sought out using your existing siding color as a guide.
- Shingle roofing is easy to repair and fire resistant which also makes it incredibly desirable to homeowners seeking to install a new roof. Roof repairs are not unheard of. Shingles make the repair a bit easier which save the homeowner time and money. Wind damage is the number one cause of roof repair and in states such as Michigan that is not unfamiliar territory.
- Unlike other roofing materials composition shingle roofs last a relatively short amount of time. The average life span varies between fifteen to thirty years. Depending on how long you plan on being in your home may convince or detour you from purchasing this type of roofing material.
- Extra hot temperatures can cause damage such as scarring. Although this is a rather minor roof repair and the temperatures would have to be way above average for a good portion of time for people in the North-East region.
- Given the right conditions moss and mildew can grow on shingle roofs. This again is a fairly simple fix but something to think about. If you live in an area with very little sunlight getting to the roof it might be something to consider when choosing a shingled roof.
A disadvantage of some shingles is that they are considered environmentally unfriendly. They do not decompose rapidly if placed in a landfill. Many shingle suppliers are starting to sell recycled shingles to improve the environmentally friendliness.