In January of 2008, when Bill Tyrrell was a manager at Fedex, people in his office began complaining about irritations and other health problems. Tyrrell called in a mold specialist and sure enough, mold was within the walls of the office. After speaking with the specialist, Tyrrell became interested in mold removal, and set out to open his own business, Triage BioClean Services. Over time, he has become a professional mold remediation expert. Here, he outlines some dangers presented by mold and some preventative measures you can take to ensure your home or workplace remains mold free.
While it’s true that cleaning mold is my business, I also want what’s best for my friends, neighbors and even complete strangers regarding harmful molds. So many people simply live with mold in their homes, never bothering to get it tested or cleaned. While some forms of mold are completely benign, others can be extremely hazardous to your health. Therefore, I’ve decided to outline some risks and dangers of mold, not as a scare tactic, but as an educational warning. I’ll also discuss a few preventative measures you can take to ensure you never have to deal with the scourge of mold.
Risks and Dangers of Mold
Mold is fungus, a natural part of our world. Its membership in this classification of organisms is the source of its danger. Fungi breed by spreading their spores throughout an environment, like your home. Some people are actually allergic and sensitive to mold spores when inhaled, while others are not. In addition, asthmatics and people with other respiratory problems are often at greater risk of exposure to molds. A few common hazards of mold exposure include nasal and breathing troubles, stuffiness, wheezing, eye irritation, and skin rash and irritation.
Those with chronic allergies to mold may experience severe symptoms, especially following prolonged exposure. These can vary depending on the individual, but some people have actually contracted fevers and severe infections on account of mold in their homes. Farmers working with hay often complained of labored breathing until it was discovered that mold growing in the hay was the source of their troubles. Those with serious lung conditions are at greatest risk, as molds can actually cause severe lung infections in such individuals.
Mold really requires two things to grow and thrive in your home — food and moisture. Deprive the fungus of these things, and it simply won’t grow in your house. Since mold prefers areas with greater moisture, a simple way to prevent its spread is to control the moisture in your house. Make sure the level of humidity in your home does not exceed 60%. Using a fan, air conditioner or dehumidifier in damp spaces like basements can greatly decrease the overall moisture and humidity in your home.
It’s important to keep your entire house ventilated. Your kitchen and bathroom tend to be the moistest areas of your home. If you keep these areas ventilated, you greatly decrease the chances of mold growth. In addition, use mold-killing products when you clean your bathroom or kitchen.
It’s also necessary to fix leaks and plumbing problems immediately. So many home mold problems occur because of water damage that happens during a leak flood or plumbing accident. If such accidents occur in your home, be sure to fix them and dry affected areas thoroughly. Use a mold inhibitor whenever you paint. Mold loves to grow in the paint on your walls, so using an inhibitor can help combat this issue.
As we see, mold contamination can be bad for your health and your home. However, if you follow the preventative measures I mentioned, you are assured a mold-free home, which is also a healthy environment for you and your family.
The information in the article is not intended to substitute for the medical expertise and advice of your healthcare provider. We encourage you to discuss any decisions about treatment or care with an appropriate healthcare provider.
Bill Tyrell is a writer for Yodle, a business directory and online advertising company. Find a <a href="http://local. yodle.com/articles">mold removal specialists or more <a href="http:// http://local. yodle.com/articles/topics/contractors-construction/home-improvement-remodeling-services/ "> mold removal articles at Yodle Local.