Everyone can use more organization in their lives (except those misguided souls who alphabetize their spices, canned goods and color-coordinate their laundry supplies!). Additional wall storage can help bring that organization into your home. And original and unusual wall storage ideas can help organization become décor pizzazz! Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. If you have old fruit crates or soda pop crates, attach them to the wall to become a wonderful storage unit to display books or knicknacks. You can paint the units to match your décor or leave the original labels and wood to create a rustic and unusual centerpiece of your room.
2. Do you have an old garden bench or one of those wooden benches which are frequently beside dining tables or in entry halls? Try it attaching upside down on the wall. Use the shelf created by the bench top to display collections. Just think of using a white distressed bench as a shelf for teddy bears in a child’s room.
3. Old wooden hangers can make beautiful storage units for jewelry, ties, and even shoes. Paint the hangers a solid color and let dry. Then add decorative touches such as hand-painted flowers or stripes. Or wrap the hangers with strips of fabric using glue to adhere the strips to the wood. When the hanger is completely wrapped, cover with a decoupage finish. Attach to the wall with painted or plain hooks.
4. Want a wonderful idea for towel storage in a bathroom? Try attaching a window box or planter to the wall and fill with folded towels and washcloths, soaps or creams. Add trim and paint to make a unique storage unit.
5. Need an easily accessible place to store your pots and pans? Attach a narrow wrought iron curtain rod with decorative finials to the wall. You can hang the pans from S-hooks which have been hooked over the rod. A great idea!
Use your own imagination to turn everyday objects into storage areas. You might come up with the perfect solution to your organization needs. Hmmm…any ideas for storing the 20 years back issues of “Better Homes and Gardens"?
About The Author
Pamela Cole Harris has been a writer for over 35 years (Yikes! Has it been that long?) Her fun, tongue-in-cheek approach to decorating has made http://www.homeandgardenmakeover.com one of the most popular décor sites on the net. She brings the same spirit of fun and practical advice to her newest site at: http://www.diy-homedecor.com .