Sometimes conventional wisdom is a good thing. Other times, thinking out of the box can be beneficial. When selling information products online, approaching it the conventional way is not usually the best way.
The biggest mistake people make when selling information products online is following conventional wisdom which says;
- Research, research and more research. Spend days online researching your topic. Find out as much as you can about your area of interest and collect all the data.
- Take all the research and organize it. Put it into a logical sequence and then make an outline. Turn this outline into your chapter headings.
- Grind out an 80 to 120 page ebook on your computer.
- Put it on a web site and sell 5 copies. Why only 5 copies? Well, it's not what people want and you don't have anyone to sell it to.
Here's a better way. A fast, easy way to create a can't miss information product.
- Pick a group of people you want to help. This could be any group from baseball fanatics, to Quickbooks users, to ballet dancers, to those planning a wedding, and anything in between.
- Build an email list. A great way to do this is by exchanging something of value (like a mini course) for their first name and email. While you are collecting their name and email, ask them what their biggest question is regarding this topic. Now you know what information they want. All you have to do is find the answers.
- Schedule a teleseminar and invite your list. Go through their questions and present the answers, then have the audio transcribed.
- Lightly edit the transcription and turn it into a pdf document. You now have an ebook.
- Turn around and sell the ebook to your list.
- Recruit others to sell your book. Clickbank is a great resource for finding affiliates to sell your product.
- Offer more to those who want more.
How hard do you think it is to sell something to someone when you already know they are looking for the product you are offering? That's what you are doing by following these steps. You are finding out exactly what your niche is interested in, and then you deliver it to them.
And if you want to start an information based online business, check out the free videos at http://8weeks2profits.com/
Becky Best runs a home based business selling information products.