There are many, many people that like the idea of having a home business. The idea of working from home sounds wonderful, and it is, but the problem is that there are a few things that most people tend to overlook when it come to having a business based out of their home. Here are the top five things that people tend to overlook when it comes to having a home based business.
1) You can't get something for nothing. Just because business is being conducted out of your home, that doesn't mean that there will be no investment involved. I've had no less than six different businesses during my life and I had to invest money in every single one of them. I didn't suddenly start making money with any of them by doing nothing and investing no money. This just isn't how business works…. . you don't get something for nothing.
2) To generate money, you're going to have to interact with other human beings. I think there's a misconception out there that you can just write an e-book or build a website and magically start generating money. This is not the case. You're going to have to actually develop relationships with other human beings in order to generate money.
3) The place where business is being conducted (in this case your home) doesn't matter. Many commercials and ads out there make it seem as if working “out of your home" gives you the luxury of working for an hour a day and getting wealthy. This is a complete fallacy! No matter where the “business" is conducted, work is going to have to be done, and where that “business" is conducted is of little importance.
4) A website doesn't magically start making money. Once again, people assume that if they get a website that's it. Not true. You're going to have to promote that website in order to drive traffic to it. If you don't drive traffic to your website, you might as well not have one. And back to point number one, driving traffic is more than likely going to cost at least a little bit of money.
5) Working from home is harder than you think. Keeping yourself motivated can be a slippery slope. It seems as if something else can always be found to do, other than what you should be doing. If you have no experience keeping yourself motivated, you may want to ease into the whole “working from home" thing. Kind of like the old boiling a frog story…. . you can't throw Mr Frog into boiling water, he'll jump out. But if you put him in the water and increase the temperature gradually……. you'll have a boiled frog in no time.
Now, if you consider these five points and still think you want to work from home, by all means go for it! I simply want to be honest with everyone about some of the things a home business really entails. Good luck.
Trevor Kugler - Co-founder of JRWfishing and founder of yourmoneyconnection.com Trevor has more than 15 years of business experience and currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country - Montana.
http://www.yourmoneyconnection.com - start actually making money online today. Find out how for FREE!
http://www.jrwfishing.com/signup - sign up for the best free fishing Ezine on the web and get a FREE report for your trouble.
Trevor's fishing E-books - http://www.lulu.com/tkugler