Fibroids are benign tumours of the smooth muscle of the uterus. Benign tumours sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it? The word tumour is a cause for alarm for most people. Not to worry, fibroids are considered fairly harmless, but can still cause some pretty uncomfortable symptoms.
You may have fibroids if you experience:
The Root Cause
There are two predominant theories as to why fibroids develop:
- Chronic tendency to inflammation
- Excessive estrogen activity due to:
As a naturopathic doctor, I always try to address the underlying cause of the problem.
There are many wonderful, natural ways to curb inflammation including:
- Hops and Rosemary combination
- Proper diet
2. Excess estrogen activity can be improved through:
- Healthy diet and exercise
- Liver detoxification
- Healthy weight loss.
3. Acupuncture can work well to relieve pain associated with fibroids, reduce heavy menstruation and clotting and help to shrink the size of fibroids, depending on how advanced they are. Generally if fibroids are 8 cm or less, naturopathic treatment can be quite successful. More advanced fibroids may require surgery, then naturopathic treatment to prevent recurrences.
4. Traditional Chinese Herbs help to promote the body's self-cleaning function of the female reproductive organs so that the growth of the fibroid tissue is stopped or reversed.
Dr. Pamela Frank, ND maintains a busy, diverse naturopathic practice with a special interest in women's health and fertility. Pamela was twice voted “Best Naturopath in Toronto" by the readers of NOW magazine. She has been the clinic director at Forces of Nature in Toronto ON for the past 9 years and is a member in good standing of the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors and Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors. Pamela can be reached at Forces of Nature at 416.481.0222 or by email at PFrankND@ForcesofNature.ca
For more information visit http://www.ForcesofNature.ca or http://www.NaturopathToronto.ca