Gastric Sleeve Surgery is a relatively new bariatric procedure. But quickly it is becoming a popular weight loss surgery option. Seeing the preliminary results of this surgery, some doctors claim that in the future it may become a very common bariatric surgery if not, THE most popular one.
This procedure is also known by other names like Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, Vertical Gastroplasty, Greater Curvature Gastrectomy, Parietal Gastrectomy, Gastric Reduction, and Sleeve Gastroplasty. This article discusses gastric sleeve surgery, how it works, some of the advantage and disadvantage to keep in mind when considering this procedure. Also, at the end some hospital recommendations are provided.
Gastric Sleeve surgery procedure started in England in 2002 as a stand alone weight loss procedure for anyone with a BMI greater than 35. It has proven to be quite safe and quite effective. The results have been very impressive as per other surgeons in USA & other parts of the world, who performed this procedure since the first done in England. Traditionally this weight loss procedure has been performed as a first stage of a two stage weight loss for super obese patients. Increasingly it is being adopted as a stand alone surgery for lower BMI patients as well. In this bariatric surgery, the surgeon removes approximately 60 to 80 percent of the stomach laparoscopically.
In the first stage of the operation the surgeon creates a tube out of the stomach by using staples. The portion of the stomach that is stapled out is them removed. This results in a small sized stomach, which takes a shape of a “sleeve" or a “banana" or a “tube".
According to a published scientific research a hormone called “GHRELIN" makes people hungry, slows metabolism, and decreases the body's ability to burn fat. This hormone is produced in the stomach. Gastric Sleeve operation removes the section of the stomach in which Ghrelin is produced. The non production of this hunger relating hormone results in preventing an increase in appetite.
Thus gastric sleeve works in two ways to become an effective weight loss surgery. One by reducing the stomach size to accomodate excess food & secondly reducing the harmones that create craving for food. This is the reason Gastric Sleeve surgery is believed to be superior by many doctors.
Advantages & Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Can result in 30 to 60% excess weight loss within 12 months of the procedure.
- Less invasive than gastric bypass and does not result in altering or cutting of the intestines.
- No dumping syndrome associated with gastric sleeve.
- Malabsorption is not as is in the case of gastric bypass surgery. The patient does not need too much nutritional supplements compared to ones who have a gastric bypass.
- No foreign device is in the body, unlike a LAP BAND
- Gastric sleeve procedure is believed to be less risky for high BMI patients
- Better for patients with prior surgery or complex medical conditions.
- After the surgery most food items can be consumed. Although in small quantities.
- Other type of weight loss surgery if required can still be performed following a Gastric Sleeve procedure.
Short Comings or Disadvantages of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Relatively new procedure there are no long term scientific studies. Although preliminary results are very promising.
- Once performed this procedure cannot be reversed.
- Experienced surgeons can sometimes be difficult to find, that again due to this being a new procedure.
- Insurance companies do not cover gastric sleeve surgery.
American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery also provides a position statement on Gastric Sleeve.
A High Quality Hospital might be a better choice for getting a Gastric Sleeve Surgery than going to a surgery center or a clinic. In rare case of an emergency or medical complications a hospital is better equipped. With all medical specialist & medical equipment & services like blood bank, MRI, X-RAY, etc. at the same location. Look for hospitals that are accredited & certified by leading third party organizations. This increases the chance of stricter enforcement of high quality standards & client service. Finally resulting in patient safety & convenience. Medical Tourism Corporation facilitates low cost high quality gastric sleeve surgery at one of the best hospitals in the world. These include USA Joint Commission accredited hospitals in Costa Rica, India & Mexico. Some are also affiliated to top medical institutes in USA like Harvard Medical, Tulane Medical Center and Ochsner Health System. For more on hospital & price visit medical tourism link on gastric sleeve surgery cost.
Always check with a qualified physician before making a health related or gastric sleeve surgery related decision.
Medical Tourism Corporation
Medical Tourism experts who facilitate surgery & medical treatment abroad. Bariatric surgery like gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, mini gastric bypass & lap gastric banding are some of the weight loss surgery that are offered at cheap price compared to the US and Europe. Beside obesity surgery treatments, Medical Tourism Corporation connects patients to world best hospitals for orthopedics, neurosurgery(spinal & brain), cardiac & cosmetic procedures