Unfortunately, panic attacks in children is a fairly common occurrence. However, it is a completely treatable condition.
These panic attacks can last anywhere from minutes to up to an hour or so, with the usual panic attack symptoms, such as feeling intense fear or discomfort, a racing heartbeat and shortness of breath.
Here is a list of main symptoms:
- a shortness of breath
- feeling of adrenaline through your entire body
- racing or pounding heartbeat, chest pain
- stomach problems, feeling nausea
- feeling lightheaded, dizziness or vertigo
- a numbness in your face, hands, feet or mouth
- burning sensations, hot or cold flashes
- trembling and shaking, tingling spine
- feelings of claustrophobia
- smothering sensations
- feeling weak, and muscle spasms
- a frightening realization of reality
- inability to react logically
- racing, irrational, or fearful thoughts
- feeling impending doom
- feeling out of control
- vision some what impaired
- The apparent slowing down or speeding up of time
And they can often develop without warning.
Panic Attacks And Their Effect On A Child's Development
Suffering panic attacks can be devastating in anyones life, but it is even more so in children. This is because it can interfere with your child's schoolwork, relationships, and other important developments that they will go through. The path to adulthood is rarely smooth for anyone, but especially to those who have this condition.
Further, panic attacks can lead to the child avoiding certain situations where a previous attack came on, and develop irrational fears. In extreme cases, the child may not even want to leave their own home. This is known as “agoraphobia. "
Some children and adolescents will develop severe depression, and in extreme cases suicidal behavior. It can also lead to alcohol or drugs.
As a result, parents should keep a keen eye on their children and be ready to take appropriate action when necessary.
The treatments for panic attacks in children are generally the same as for adults. It is a relief to know that panic attacks can be stopped forever with the right treatment and you can find a ton of free information at my website if you wish to look further.