Summertime is a great time for families to renew their cultural connections. Most families go on road trips to week-long cultural events or attend cultural camps. These vacations make sure that children are in touch with and understand their cultural background. It is important for the next generations to be aware of the meaning of the ritual portion of their beliefs. Hindu Temples are a great place to get your children acquainted with the worship portion of the Hindu religion. They also provide a great break for the parents, away from their regular workday and provide some mental peace. Here are some great tips to enjoy your temple experience.
1. Dress appropriately. Ask your family members to cover up their upper body completely and their legs as well.
2. Get with the spirit and mood of the place. Try to use the time as a mini retreat and bonding time.
3. Make enough time to do justice to your visit.
4. Mentally talk to the idols like a living presence of God. It will enhance your experience. Feeling is believing.
5. Remember to take the food offering also called prasaadam.
6. Teach your children about the various activities during worship such as putting kumkum, vibhuti if available, taking the offered light deepam, taking the offered water theertham, and finally offered food prasadam. All of these items have a standard way to take them.
7. Observe external silence and ask your children to behave with decorum. It is not a playground or a gossip centre. Just a place to internalise with your own inner ground of peace.
Use these tips and you will not feel like going to the temple was a chore. You and your children will be looking forward to their next visit.