Life transitions can be considered to be periods of discontinuity in the flow of life. They tend to exhibit identifiable beginnings, lead to various turning points and eventually cease to be transitions. The transition follows a series of stages, from the point of beginning to the final resolution. Below is a list of these stages:
1) The first stage involves experiencing a range of negative feeling which might include disorientation, anger, numbness, and self doubt.
2) As the emotions of self doubt, numbness and disorientation intensify with the progression of the transition, the loss of self –esteem occurs.
3) After a period of being unsure of what to do, you eventually begin to accept the change.
4) Once you begin the see the change in its totality you then realize that you have to let go of the past. This is followed by a contemplation of the future.
5) Once you realize that life is possible despite going through the transition, you begin to feel a renewed sense of hope for the future.
6) Once the desire to face the future is fully formed, an increase in the level of self esteem then follows
7) An optimistic view of the future is an indicator of the integration of the transition into your life.
How to cope with life transitions?
In order to effectively deal with life transitions you need to possess some coping skills. Listed below are some of these skills
i. Do not rush yourself. The fact remains that once the normal flow of life is interrupted it will take time before you regain your footing. Try to avoid committing your self to new activities during a period of transition. You will need to be free to reflect and contemplate the next course of action.
ii. Expect to be unsettled and uncomfortable. Its quit normal for you to feel disoriented and full of indecision during a period of transition. Feeling insecure and ever anxious is simply a normal response to the change. These feeling will definitely pass.
iii. Avoid all drugs and alcohol. Drugs will only make it harder to deal with the transition. It will lead dependency, a situation where every time the unresolved emotions come up you will end up using the mind altering substance. You should stay sober throughout the transition period.
iv. Take care not to succumb to the stress associated with transitions. Make sure you get plenty of rest. This does not mean that you remain inactive. You should exercise aggressively as this will enable you to sleep better. Eat well.
The above coping techniques are part of a large number of such skills. If you would want an extensive and detailed list of skills to cope with major life transitions then you should consider visiting a Brisbane psychologist . This is ideal for people living in Waterford, Matterhorn, Loganholme, Edens Landing and Slacks Creek.