Acne vulgaris (commonly called acne) is a common skin disease, caused by changes in pilosebaceous units, skin structures consisting of a hair follicle and its associated sebaceous glands, via androgen stimulation. Acne is the term for plugged pores (blackheads and whiteheads), pimples, and even deeper lumps (cysts or nodules) that may occur on the face, neck, chest, back, shoulders and even the upper arms. The disease is not restricted to any particular age group; it can affect teenagers to adults up to the age of 40. Sometimes severe acne can lead to serious and permanent scarring. Even less severe cases can lead to scarring.
Several factors contribute to the development of acne. Bacteria that normally live on the skin also play a role in acne development. The bacteria known as Propionibacterium acnes are responsible for causing acne. These bacteria produce substances that cause redness and irritation. Certain hormones called Androgen are an additional factor in causing acne.
In order to get acne free, clear healthy skin , proper care should be taken:
1. Wash the skin once or twice daily with soap and water to remove excess oil.
2. Home made facial scrubs can be used to exfoliate the face regularly. Avoid abrasive scrubbing because this can cause acne to worsen.
3. A paste of two table spoon of almond powder, one table spoon of milk and one table spoon of orange juice can be used as a scrub.
4. Tomato juice can be applied to the face which act as a good antioxidant and help the skin to generate healthy looking skin.
5. Cucumber juice can be used for acne scar. It not only lightens the skin tone but also tightens the facial pores.
6. Anti acne cream can also be used for skin rashes and acne scar.
7. Massaging the affected part gently with olive oil also help in fading acne scar.
8. Herbal beauty products containing essential oils like Tea Tree oil, clove oil, Lavender oil, Rose wood oil and Eucalyptus oil are quite helpful in removing scars due to acne.
9. Take 2 tablespoons of orange peel powder and add 4 tablespoons of yoghurt in it. Mix well and make paste of it. Now apply this paste all over the face, while gently rubbing in circular motion. After sometime, wash it off with cold water. It is an ideal mask to extract dirt and oil from the clogged pores. It also opens the clogged pores that cause acne and blackheads.
10. Take a few pods of cloves and roast them dry in a pan. Powder them and add a little curd to make paste of it. Apply this paste on the pimples and leave it to dry. Wash off after the application has dried. This treatment is particularly good for the people who have oily skin.
These skin remedies are based on our common house hold spices, fruits, vegetables or sometimes specific herbs. Herbal remedies are obtained from a wide variety of natural resources including plant leaves, bark, berries, and roots. Natural skin care products are safe and easy to use as they have no side effects.
As far as home remedies are concerned, we must keep in mind that these are not miraculous, rather they are slow in action, and need to be used thoroughly and consistently over a long period. Therefore, it is always recommended to take the advice of a health care professional before taking our health in our hands.