With so many diets and alternative food choices available on the market today, it can be difficult to figure out where to start when you want to lose a few pounds. Long-term weight loss is most effectively achieved when healthy lifestyle changes are made and maintained.
A healthy weight loss plan is as follows:
* Exercise more. Increase your level of physical activity and try to make it fun. Walks in the park, long bicycle rides, swimming in the pool - choose the type of exercise you like the most so that you look forward to doing it three or four times a week. Exercise burns calories and helps to maintain body functions.
* Reduce your calorie intake. The simple mathematical step of counting your calories is a key element to losing weight. Eating between 300 and 500 calories less each day can help you to lose one to two pounds per week.
* Choose your cooking methods carefully. Fried foods contain more fat and calories than foods that are baked, grilled, boiled or broiled.
* Drink more water. Our bodies are made of mostly water, which is an essential element to our overall well-being. Ideally, we should drink eight glasses of water a day - a bonus is that is also curbs your appetite.
* Keep track of your weight weekly. Daily weigh-ins can be discouraging, so monitor your progress by weighing yourself before breakfast once a week and writing it down.
* Add more vegetables to your meals. Vegetables provide additional bulk to fill you up, as well as add essential nutrients to your diet.
* Eat fruit for dessert. Try having fruit instead of sugary snacks for dessert a few times a week to eliminate extra calories and fat. At only eight calories a tablespoon, add a dollop of whipped cream for flavor.
* Have patience. It took some time to put on the extra pounds and it will take some time to shed them, too. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks or even a month before significant results show - keep going and you will have success.
Developing a healthy weight loss plan will enable you to feel better while you beat the battle of the bulge.
Ryan Cote is the owner of WeightLoss-Programs-Reviewed.com , a website that reviews the top 4 best weight loss programs & online plans . A large directory of health and fitness tips & articles is available as well.