If you have been to a potluck dinner or a barbeque recently, chances are you have tried a seven layer salad. The cool thing about this specific dish is that everyone has their own variation of it. You never quite know what you are going to get into you take your first bite (and even then you still might not know what exactly you are eating). Here's a seven layer salad recipe that I created called the Classic. It uses all the ingredients that you think would be included if there ever was a “standard" version. This recipe tends to be popular with my more conservative friends.
Ingredients for the Classic Seven Layer Salad Recipe:
1 head of Iceberg Lettuce
1 cup of Frozen Peas (thawed)
1 Red Onion (chopped)
3 Eggs (hard boiled)
1 1/2 cups of Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
2 cups of Tomato (diced)
1 cup of Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of Sugar
2 teaspoons of Salt
Again, this recipe is just for the Classic version of the seven layer salad. In order to get it just to your liking, you may want to add one or more of the following ingredients: mushrooms, bacon bits, diced ham, Parmesan cheese, green peppers, celery, etc.
1. Wash and chop up the head of lettuce. Place lettuce in a large bowl for your first layer.
2. Slice up the hard boiled eggs. Layer over the lettuce (you may want to sprinkle a touch of salt and pepper over the eggs).
3. Next, layer the frozen peas over the eggs.
4. Place the chopped red onion completely over the peas.
5. The next layer that you will add will be the diced up tomato.
6. Spread a layer of cheddar cheese over the tomato.
7. In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise and sugar together. Carefully spoon this final layer over the cheese. Make sure to cover the entire top of the salad.
8. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap or lid, and refrigerate overnight.
9. When ready to serve, toss salad and sprinkle with any additional toppings or spices.
One of the best things that I like about this seven layer salad recipe is that you can prepare it in advance, and it will still taste fresh when you serve it. The combination of the classic ingredients will make this dish a big hit at your next office party or family outing.
Want to get more recipes like the seven layer salad recipe ?
Visit my site at http://www.UltimateRecipeBookCollection.com to learn about how to get thousands of recipes just like this one. Chances are that you're bored with your normal meals. Why not try a new dish tonight? Come to my website to get more information.
This article can be reprinted by newsletter/ezine owners and webmasters as long as the links are kept active and none of the content is altered.