Grilled pineapple is a perfect dessert for your barbecue. It is tasty, easy to do, great looking, and your guests will love it. Grilling brings out an intense flavor that is delicious.
Make sure to get a ripe pineapple. Look for one that has a nice smell and has crisp green leaves. Prepare the pineapple by cutting off the top and outer skin and coring. Cut into ¾ inch rings or slice into quarters lengthwise (top to bottom) and slice each quarter into four pieces to create wedges.
Make a glaze to be used on the pineapple. You can put it on prior to cooking or use it as a glaze after cooking. If using prior to cooking, brush each side of each pineapple piece with the glaze (you can also marinate overnight in a zip-lock bag). Here are some suggestions for glazes:
- 3 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, ½ cup honey, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
- 4 tablespoons molasses, 4 tablespoons melted butter, 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can coconut milk, 1 ½ cups sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon
A variation on the glaze method is to dip the pineapple rings in a mixture of melted butter and lime juice and then into a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon. Shake off the excess sugar and they are ready to go on the grill.
Spray the grill with non-stick cooking spray. Put the pineapple on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Cook only until the outside starts to turn brown and grill marks appear. Don't overcook or it will turn mushy. Remove from the grill and brush with glaze one last time. Serve as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or fruit sorbet. It doesn't get much better than this!
Scott Carey has many hobbies and interests, including outdoor cooking. See http://www.outdoorcookingmagic.com for more outdoor cooking tips . Get a Free Dutch Oven Recipes eBook .