Whether it's a cocktail party, wine tasting or large gathering, cheese is a welcome part of any menu. Choose from our list of delicious cheeses and serve your guests the best!
1. Brie: A creamy, rich cheese coming mainly from France, but also made all over the world. It is one of the oldest known cheeses dating back to the year 774 BC. Brie cheese is best served at room temperature and goes well with champagne and dry white wines such as Chardonnay.
2. Gorgonzola: A zesty, crumbly cheese similar to blue cheese, hailing from Italy and dating back to the 9th century. A younger gorgonzola is softer and milder than the older cheese which can be firm and pungent. Serve with fresh fruit and assorted red wines.
3. Mozzarella: A very mild, soft cheese from Italy and dating back to the ancient Romans. Mozzarella is best enjoyed after it is freshly made and goes well with fresh tomatoes and basil. Enjoy with white wines and fruity reds.
4. Gouda: A creamy, pungent cheese coated with red wax and aged. Originating in Holland, it is named for the Dutch city of Gouda. Serve with light white wines or a Zinfandel.
5. Jarlsberg: A rich, buttery cheese coated in yellow wax that originates from Norway. Jarlsberg is similar to Swiss cheese but milder and lower in fat. Pairs well with a spicy white wine.
6. Boursin: A mild, creamy cheese from France invented by Francois Boursin in 1957. Pairs nicely with Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon.
7. Cheddar: Originally from England, Cheddar is now made all over the world. It is a firm cheese and the flavors can range from mild to sharp with age. Delicious with fruit, white wines and champagne.
Choose three to five different cheeses from this list and pair with crackers, crusty breads and fresh fruit. Enjoy!
Mary Crowther is a writer, webmaster and cook. Visit her successful website KitchenTerms.com