Welcome to the Gourmet Chicken Series. Today we bring you the the samba and carnivalé delight, Brazillian Braised Chicken & Banana. This dish is what give the dancers the energy to perform at the great street parade and party on Earth.
Ingredients: 4 pounds chicken thighs and legs (attached), 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, salt to taste, milled pepper, 3 tbsp. oil, 1 medium onion chopped, 6 plum tomatoes seeded and chopped, a pinch of sugar, 1 cup dry white wine, 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth, 3 tbsp. butter, 6 firm ripe bananas, halved lengthwise, 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Rub it all over with lemon juice and sprinkle well with salt and pepper.
3. In a deep, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on all sides until golden brown.
4. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
5. Add the onion, tomatoes and sugar to pan and cook, stirring, until soft.
6. Return chicken pieces to pan, add the wine and broth, and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and cover pan. Simmer until chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
7. In another large skillet, heat butter and saute banana halves on both sides until golden brown.
8. Arrange bananas on top of the chicken in the skillet and sprinkle them with the Parmesan. Turn heat on low, cover and cook just until cheese melts.
9. Use a large spatula to transfer the chicken with banana on top to plates.
(serves 6 people)
Chris Jacob is passionate about health, children and food. He established Gourmet Chicken so families are able to cook good, health and tasty dishes in very quick time. (Gourmet Chicken Recipes - Brazillian Braised Chicken & Bananas )