Spring is almost here. The birds are singing. The trees and flowers are starting to reveal the beautiful colors of the rainbow. With all that beauty beginning to unfold kids and Moms realize that another school year is coming to a close. This means that the refrigerator door will be constantly ajar with little eyes gazing hungrily inside looking for a quick snack or a gooey dessert.
A cache of sugar free blueberry muffins might just fill the bill for a quick kid friendly dessert. Blueberry muffins made with natural fruit sweeteners instead of sugar provide some good tasting nutritious ingredients.
The kids will love the flavor of these fresh baked goodies. Moms can make one batch of these kid friendly desserts that can last the entire week. These muffins can be served at almost any meal. They make great quick breakfast treats.
For the last days of school, stuff these sugar free treats in the lunch sack. Keeping a stash of sugar free snacks handy will make everyone happy. Kids can snack a little more and Mom will not have to worry about cavities or sugar shock.
Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins
*1 cup mashed banana
*2 egg whites or 1 extra large egg
*1/3-cup vegetable oil
*½ cup unsweetened pineapple juice concentrate (Minute Maid or unsweetened apple juice concentrate (any brand)
*2 cups all-purpose flour
*1-cup fresh or frozen blueberries, left to thaw in a strainer
*2 teaspoons baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare 18 standard sized muffin cups with paper
3. In a large bowl stir together banana, egg, oil, concentrate and water
4. Add flour and mix
5. Gently stir in blueberries
6. Stir in baking soda quickly
7. Mix all ingredients together
8. Immediately spoon batter into prepared muffin cups
9. Bake about 20 minutes
10. Insert toothpick in the center of one muffin to check if muffins are done
11. Remove muffins from tins and cool on a wire rack
12. Serve warm or cool completely.
Store muffins in airtight container.
Do you need Kid-Friendly Recipes? Christine Steendahl (The Menu Mom) invites you to visit Kid Approved Meals http://www.kidapprovedmeals.com to pick up your personal 13 week breakfast and lunch menu designed just for children!