One of the joys of summer is the garden bursting with fruit and vegetables.
Regrettably, courgettes, marrows and tomatoes tend to get a little carried away and produce far quicker than most people are able to consume!
Here's two recipes that will help you use up that glut and enjoy it for weeks and months to come.
Recipe for Marrow / Courgette / Zucchini Chutney
- 5lb marrow or courgettes (zucchini)
- 2lb tomatoes (fresh or tinned)
- 1lb onions
- 6-8 cloves of garlic
- 3lb soft pale brown sugar
- 6oz sultanas
- 4 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 2 pints
If using marrow, remove skin and the cotton-like core
- Chop marrow in to cubes (2-3cm) or cut courgettes into slices
- Roughly chop the tomatoes
- Chop the onions and finely chop or crush the garlic
- Put all ingredients into a large pan
- Bring slowly to the boil, stirring occasionally
- Cook slowly until mixture is tender and thick, but not too dry
- Use spoon or ladle to put into hot, clean jars
For a glut of tomatoes, here's a nice spicy relish to keep.
Recipe for Spicy Tomato Relish
- 1lb tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 1lb onions
- 1lb apples
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 pint vinegar
- 12oz sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
Prepare all ingredients.
- Cut up the tomatoes
- Remove seeds from pepper
- Chop pepper, onion and apples
- Finely chop or crush the garlic
- Put tomatoes, pepper, onion, apple and garlic into a large pan
- Add the vinegar
- Bring gently to the boil
- Simmer until thick and tender (roughly 30-60 minutes)
- Add remaining ingredients
- Boil for one minute
- Ladle into hot, clean jars and seal
Many thanks to Carol for sharing these recipes for homemade chutney and relish all those years ago!
About the Author
Jen enjoys cooking and has collected recipes from various countries of the world.
Find cheap cook books & recipes and British recipes to inspire your home cooking!