Welcome to the Gourmet Chicken Series. Today we bring you the the mouth and tongue dazzling, Turkish Poached Chicken with Walnut Sauce.
Ingredients: 4 tbsp. walnut oil, 4 tsp. & 2 tbsp. paprika, 4 whole chicken breasts on the bone with the skin, 1 carrot cut into pieces, 1 rib celery cut into pieces, 1 onion halved, 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed, 2 Turkish bay leaves, parsley stems, 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, 2 slices firm white bread crusts removed, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tsp. minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. cayenne, 2 cups lightly toasted walnuts, chopped parsley leaves for garnish, sliced Turkish bread/pita bread as accompaniment
1. In a small saucepan, gently heat the walnut oil with 4 teaspoons of the paprika. Remove from the heat and let infuse.
2. In a medium pot, place the chicken, carrots, celery, half of the onion, the garlic clove, bay leaves, parsley stems and peppercorns. Cover with water by 1 to 2 inches (about 1 quart) and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and remove the chicken to a plate to cool. Strain the stock into a clean container and let cool.
5. When the meat is cool enough to handle, shred or chop into pieces.
6. In a small bowl, soak the bread with enough stock to soften. Let sit for 2 minutes then squeeze dry and tear into pieces.
7. Chop the remaining onion half.
8. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
9. Add the chopped onions, garlic, remaining 2 tablespoons paprika, and the cayenne and gently cook, stirring, until aromatic and soft but not colored, 5 to 6 minutes.
10. Remove from the heat and let cool.
11. In a food processor, grind the walnuts. Add the onion mixture, bread pieces and enough of the reserved stock to blend, about 1 cup. Process to make a smooth paste, adding additional stock 1 tablespoon at a time as needed.
12. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, with salt and pepper.
13. In a bowl, toss the chicken pieces with half of the sauce to coat. Place on a decorative platter and spread the rest of the sauce over the top.
14. Drizzle with the paprika-infused walnut oil and garnish with parsley.
Serve at room temperature with bread.
Chris Jacob is passionate about health, children and food. He established Gourmet Chicken so families are able to cook good, health and tasty dishes in very quick time. (Gourmet Chicken Recipes - Turkish Poached Chicken with Walnut Sauce )