Need a Copy of Your Tax Return Information?


Visitors: 1,049

Taxpayers have two easy and convenient options for getting copies of their federal tax return information — tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts — by phone or by mail.

A tax return transcript shows most line items from the tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and student loans.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

Request either transcript by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. The IRS does not charge a fee for transcripts, which are available for the current and three prior calendar years. Allow two weeks for delivery.

If you need a photocopy of a previously processed tax return and attachments, complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Form, and mail it to the IRS address listed on the form for your area. There is a fee of $39 for each tax period requested. Copies are generally available for the current and past 6 years.

Richard A. Chapo is with - providing information on taxes . Visit us to read more articles about tax returns and our new tax forms page.


Article Source:

Rate this Article: 
Tax Return Options
Rated 4 / 5
based on 5 votes

Related Articles:

Information About Filing an Amended Tax Return

by: Darrin Mish (June 06, 2008) 

Tax Return Outsourcing Your Timely and Up to date Tax Return Reports Are ..

by: Michelle Barkley (June 18, 2008) 

Tax Return Outsourcing Ensures Greater Security of Information

by: Michelle Barkley (September 22, 2006) 

Tax Return Sydney! What is required by your accountants to prepare your tax ..

by: Sargon Odisho (August 04, 2010) 
(Finance/Taxes Income)

Tax Lien Investing - How to Make A 25% Return in Six Months or Less Using The ..

by: Andrew Kryzak (July 04, 2007) 

Tax Deductible Items for Fire Fighters to Take When Preparing Their Federal ..

by: J. September (February 20, 2008) 

Advance Tax Return Preparation Can Simplify Your Tax Burden

by: Michelle Barkley (June 11, 2007) 

Tax Return Outsourcing Ensure Timely Tax Returns

by: Michelle Barkley (July 13, 2008) 

How to Get Your Tax Return Quickly

by: Vick Condecion (February 06, 2013) 

Tax Return Options

by: Eriani Doyel (May 14, 2006)