Getting A Second Extension to File 2004 Taxes


Visitors: 1,506

Millions of people file tax return extensions every year. The tax filing deadlines can rush up on your quickly. Fortunately, filing an extension isn’t particularly difficult. For individuals, there are two available extensions.

Automatic Extension

What do you do if April 15th is approaching and you simply can’t get your taxes done? The IRS allows you to file a request for a four-month extension to file your tax returns. Simply file form 4868 and you will automatically be given until August 15th to get your return in.

Second Extension

What do you do if August 15th is quickly approaching and you still can’t get your returns together? You can file an additional request for an extension to file your tax returns. Unfortunately, the IRS isn’t going to automatically grant your request. Instead, you have to show the following:

1. The reason for requesting the extension,

2. The particular tax return for which the extension of time to file is desired,

3. The tax year to which the extension applies,

4. The length of time needed for the extension, and

5. Whether another extension of time to file has already been granted for this tax year.

If you can provide credible information, the IRS will grant you an additional extension for two months. To request the extension, you must file form 2688.

Failing To File

Failing to file a tax return or application for extension is a bad move. Penalties can be as high as 5% for each month your return is late. The penalty does max out at 25% of the tax due, but your risk of an audit or having your return red flagged increases dramatically. Filing a tax return extension is fairly simple, so you should never have this problem.

Richard Chapo is CEO of - Obtaining tax refunds for small businesses by finding overlooked tax deductions and credits through a free tax return review. Read additional tax articles at for more information.


Article Source:

Rate this Article: 
Correctly File Your Taxes While Living Overseas
Rated 4 / 5
based on 5 votes

Related Articles:

What Is A File With A .LNK Extension

by: A Singh (March 17, 2007) 
(Computers and Technology)

How to File for a Tax Extension?

by: Bruce Markey (June 15, 2016) 

How to File For a Tax Extension Online

by: Bruce Markey (November 13, 2014) 

How To Get An Extension To File Your Business Tax Returns

by: Richard Chapo (February 04, 2005) 

Hurricane Katrina - How To Use Your Business Loss To Get A Refund on 2004 Taxes

by: Richard Chapo (September 03, 2005) 

File Your Back Taxes or Else!

by: Richard Close (January 25, 2008) 

Advice On Getting Ready to File Your Taxes

by: Richard Chapo (January 09, 2007) 

File Taxes Online for Free

by: FrankW Ellis (December 28, 2006) 

This Year, Try Using Tax Software to File Your Taxes

by: James Hunt (December 22, 2005) 

Correctly File Your Taxes While Living Overseas

by: Darrin Mish (August 27, 2008)