Saving money on your grocery bill is easy if you follow a few simple steps.
1. Take inventory. Look through your pantry, cabinets, fridge and freezer. Get rid of all the outdated things and those that no longer resemble anything edible. Then take stock of what you have on hand.
2. Peruse the sale flyers and your coupon stash. Look to see what is on sale at your supermarket and also what coupons you have on hand. This will give you an idea of what kinds of meals to prepare and what to buy.
3. What can you create for supper? Are there any meals that you can prepare with the ingredients you have available? Maybe you have all the fixings for a beef stew minus the beef. Make a note of all meals you can prepare including those that will need additional ingredients.
4. Fill in the blanks. Now write down what you need for those meals that are missing ingredients.
5. Look Ahead. What length of time are you shopping for? If it's two weeks then make sure you have enough to prepare supper for two weeks. If you only came up with enough meal ideas for 12 days then you will need to add more to your list to make up for the extra two days.
6. Now Add Breakfast and Lunch. What kinds of things do you and your family eat for lunch and breakfast? Make sure you have ingredients on hand for those meals as well.
7. And last but not least. . . Finally add on condiments, by product and any other items that are not main ingredients.
By using these strategies every time you go to the grocery store you will be sure to ease your grocery budget.
Michele Young is a work-at-home wife and homeschooling mom of three. Read about her Grocery Saving Tips and Recipes at http://chefmichele.blogspot.com