American Express has a reputation of exclusivity and prestige, but in reality they offer charge card and credit card options for people of all wealth brackets, from those with a moderate income to the super-rich. Here are five tips to help you choose the right American Express Card for you:
1. Know your credit needs and habits. American Express offers both charge cards, which must be paid off monthly, and credit cards, which can be paid off over time. There are many levels of service and fees. Options range from the Blue, which offers no annual fee and online purchase protection, to the Platinum card, which charges a hefty annual fee but includes a wealth of perks such as a travel service and concierge service. Consider your spending habits, payment habits and income before deciding which card to apply for.
2. Consider which features are most important to you. Even looking only at cards appropriate to a specific income bracket, there are generally several options to consider. Look at the options available and prioritize which features and terms are most important to you.
3. Compare all of your options. While the first card offer you look at may seem perfect, it is always worth looking at all of your options. That way, you can either confirm that it is the perfect card for you or find something even better.
4. Read the fine print. Always be careful to read and understand all of the terms that apply to a credit card offer before applying. Consider how the fees, interest rates, grace periods, credit limits and rewards programs will apply to your use of the card.
5. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If there is anything you don't understand while reading through the terms and features of a card, don't be afraid to ask questions. American Express has a well trained customer service department that will be happy to help you understand all of the details.
To find and apply for an American Express credit card , Beth Derkowitz recommends Find Credit Cards.