Every consumer is entitled (by law) to receive a free copy of their credit report when:
1. Your request for credit is denied. By law, the creditor must issue you a denial letter stating the reasons for denial-forward a copy of the denial letter with a request for your free credit report.
2. Your request for insurance coverage is declined. It's a normal business practice to issue either a insurance denial or cancellation notice-forward a copy to the credit bureaus and request a free credit report.
3. Your rental agreement by a landlord is rejected. According to the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act), landlords must issue formal denial letters when they reject your tenant request-forward a copy of the same with a request for your free credit report.
4. You are current unemployed but intend to rejoin the workforce within a 60 day period beginning from the date of your free credit report request is made.
5. You are currently receiving public assistance. Forward proof that you are recieving public assistance to the credit bureaus for a free credit report.
6. You think your report contains inaccuracies as a result of ID theft.
7. Every consumer is entitled to one free copy of their credit report once per calendar year (every 12 months).
To retrieve your credit report online, you can visit www.annualcreditreport.com (this is the central site set up by Transunion, Equifax and Experian to distribute the annual free report to consumers online).
Even if you can’t get it for free, you can still get it for a low fee by contacting the bureaus directly at:
P. O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
P. O. Box 2104
Allen, TX 75013-2104
P. O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
This is what it will cost you when ordering it direct from the credit bureaus:
Colorado, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Vermont- Free
Maine and Minnesota $3.00
All other states $9.00
Want a way to check your score and report anytime you want?
H. Scott Miller is a lending industry professional, Managing Director of Bad Credit Mortgage Makeover and is highly regarded and acknowledged as a credit restoration expert in the field of real estate finance. He is the author of “The Complete Guide To Quickly and Easily Improving Your Credit Scores", written specifically to assist individuals in restoring their credit so as to allow them to pursue their financial dreams of homeownership and lower their total cost of borrowing in every credit situation.