Innocent Spouse Tax Debt Relief


Visitors: 167

"Innocent Spouse Tax debt Relief" from the IRS is available if you require tax debt relief from taxes and penalties that originated from a joint tax return filed with your spouse or ex-spouse. That's right, the IRS offers you a way to get out from under tax debt liability that was the result of mistakes and errors not made by you on a joint tax return. “Innocent Spouse Relief" is a good option , as the IRS holds both spouses equally responsible for everything filed on a joint return, all taxes and penalties are an equally shared responsibility regardless of who made a mistake.

If you discover that you now owe taxes, you can file IRS form 8857 for “Innocent Spouse Relief" if you were not party in any way to the intentional or unintentional under-reporting of income or of unqualified claimed deductions. If you qualify and don't seek Innocent Spouse Tax Debt Relief you can be subject to a federal levy of your bank accounts, wages, or other valuable assets seized to satisfy the tax debt. The IRS can also place a lien on your home which means the IRS will be paid first if you sell your house. Your credit rating will be damaged with reporting of any liens. Your wages may also be garnished until all taxes are paid in full. Any penalties or interest will only increase the original debt and require payment.

If your spouse (or former spouse) made false reports or mistakes on your joint return, and you can prove you had no knowledge of the mistakes, you may qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief. You MUST meet these requirements:

1. ) You filed a joint return which has an understatement of tax due to erroneous items of your spouse (or former spouse).

2. ) You establish that at the time you signed the joint return you did not know, and had no reason to know, that there was an understatement of tax .

3. ) Taking into account all the facts and circumstances, it would be unfair for you to be held liable for the understatement of tax or falsely claimed exemptions.

4. ) A request for innocent spouse tax debt relief will not be granted if the IRS proves that you and your spouse (or former spouse) transferred property to one another as part of a fraudulent scheme. A fraudulent scheme includes a scheme to defraud the IRS or another third party, such as a creditor, ex-spouse, or business partner.

You may qualify for partial tax debt relief if, at the time you filed your return, you had no knowledge or reason to know of only a portion of an erroneous item. You will be relieved of the understatement due to that portion of the item if all other requirements are met for that portion. Be advised that divorce or separation do not automatically qualify you for “Innocent Spouse Relief".

The IRS recognizes that there are cases where it would be unfair to hold you liable for your spouse's or former spouse's tax obligations or mistakes. You can file for Innocent Spouse Tax Debt Relief yourself by simply filing IRS form 8857. However, it is advisable to consult a tax professional that is well versed in IRS tax law, to achieve the most expedient and positive results in your “Innocent Spouse Relief" filing.

Get rid of the confusion and stress of taxes, get more information and help on Innocent Spouse Tax Debt Relief as well as other resources related to tax preparation and tax resolution at Tax Preparation Help here:


Article Source:

Rate this Article: 
Tax debt relief intended for single mothers
Rated 4 / 5
based on 5 votes

Related Articles:

Innocent Spouses - Help With Ex-Spouse Tax Problems

by: Richard Chapo (December 23, 2005) 

Tax Relief - Finding Relief from Tax Debt

by: Rob L Daniel (April 15, 2008) 
(Finance/Taxes Relief)

Tax Relief - Four Strategies For Tax Debt Relief

by: Rob L Daniel (April 15, 2008) 
(Finance/Taxes Relief)

Tax Relief - The 2007 Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act Explained

by: Rob L Daniel (April 15, 2008) 
(Finance/Taxes Relief)

Tax Relief - Tackling Tax Debt

by: Noreen Centeno (April 23, 2008) 
(Finance/Taxes Relief)

Divorce & Tax Debt - Making Sure Your Ex-Spouse Is Paying Their Share

by: Richard Close (February 15, 2008) 

Dont Be Shy About Tax Debt Relief

by: Warren Frump (June 18, 2008) 
(Finance/Debt Relief)

Tax Relief - Nontaxable Forgiven Home Debt

by: Noreen Centeno (April 23, 2008) 
(Finance/Taxes Relief)

Benefits of Hiring a Tax Debt Relief Attorney

by: Sally Pratt (November 11, 2010) 
(Finance/Taxes Relief)

Tax debt relief intended for single mothers

by: Johnathan Mathews (June 22, 2012) 
(Finance/Debt Consolidation)