It has been said a lot about the necessity of using the inventory tracking software on networks of any size and in any organization. Firstly, because it helps to improve employees’ effectiveness. Secondly, it allows reducing the company’s expenses on software and hardware. Thirdly, using this kind of program, you are able to keep your hardware and software up-to-date, which is extremely important nowadays. And finally, the inventory tracking program allows the system administrator and head manager to avoid problems that are connected with using unlicensed or cracked software by the employees. And now, it is time to discuss one more important issue particularly. How to choose the best inventory tracking software?
To do so, you need to focus of features that you want to be in the program. Compose a list of inventory features that your company needs. Those may include:
1. Ability to obtain the actual inventory information remotely, without the necessity of installing any additional software on the network computers. This saves the system administrator’s time and allows him not to distract the employees from the work during the inventory process.
2. Easy access to the hardware configurations and software that is installed on the network PCs. It helps to plan upgrades and updates more effectively and to avoid unexpected expenses.
3. Ability to monitor the licenses of software that is installed on the each PC on the company’s network. It allows the system administrator and head manager to avoid unpleasant problems connected with breaking the Copyright Low.
4. Good inventory tracking software should update the inventory data repeatedly on a scheduled basis automatically. So, the data always stays fresh and updated.
5. Inventory tracking software has to track changes and record a history log for each PC being inventoried and notify the system administrator about the changes that take place via email or by sending daily reports.
6. And the last but not the least feature that IT admin needs in inventory software, is a packet of dozens of ready-to-use report templates. If reporting is flexible, rich, and relevant to the company’s needs, you will not spend much time on creating hardware and software reports for head manager.
After you determined all the features you want to be in your tracking software, you should think about a few more points that are also very important:
1. Ease of use. Is the program easy to understand? Do you feel comfortable using it? Is its interface friendly and understandable? Can you get technical support easily and quickly? Does that support cost extra money? All these questions must be answered before you purchase the software.
2. A trial version and demonstration videos of the network tracking software you want to purchase must be available. They can help you to understand, whether it is the program you are looking for, or not.
3. Price. Determination of how much the inventory tracking system actually costs can be difficult, but it is necessary to do in order not to overpay for features you do not need, or features that other software offers for lower price. In any case, the price should be reasonable.
Usually, the inventory tracking software does much more than just monitoring the software and hardware that is on the network. This program is to help to avoid additional expenses on programs updates and hardware upgrades, to keep employees under control, to print relevant reports on head manager’s demand, etc. That is why you need to make an appropriate research to choose the software that fits your company and its needs better.