Computer problems can be upsetting. But most of them are minor and can be repaired easily, so don't panic and take a deep breathe when pc problems happen to you.
Basic computer repair / pc troubleshooting tips and guide:
1. Check the power strip connection. Is the power indicator light lit? Make sure the power switch is turned on and to the correct AC voltage. Then shut down the power and check all the cables of your computer such as data cables, power cable, internal circuitry cables and crds if possible and devices like mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc. and make sure that everything is seated properly and working fine. You can push the cables or devices gently. Sometimes you need to actually unplug them from the computer and then plug in again.
2. When you notice a software or hardware error in your computer, try to find out what was changed before the problem occurred. In the meantime, you can google the error message and find a fix to the problem. The following are some common error messages and solutions:
a. Non-System disk or disk error": remove non-system diskette, USB, CD inserted before starting computer.
b. Windows was not properly shut down. One or more of your disk drives may have errors on it. Press any key to run ScanDisk on these drives. ": Press the enter key and allow the machine to do a scan and fix the problems.
c. Not enough memory / Insufficient memory": Close some programs and try again.
d. My monitor is black": Check power and cable connection. Check if it is in sleep mode, especially laptop.
e. No sound": Check if the speaker is plugged into the wrong socket, MIC. Also check Mute? Volume?
f. Computer freezes": Try Ctrl+Alt+Del. If it does not work, force the computer to power off by keeping on pressing power key until the pc shuts down. Then wait for about 10-15 seconds and re-start computer.
3. Use the event viewer utility by going to Start -> Control panel -> Administrative tools -> Event viewer. By using this tool, you will find the error or warning messages associated with any faulty hardware or software.
4. Check the hardware settings in the device manager of the system and make sure all the device drivers is up to date and working properly, that is, there is no error sign shown.
5. When you find a faulty component in your computer, you should check it with the other good computers so that you can make sure whether the component has problems or not before buying a new one.
6. If the above is ok and your computer still has problems, it might be the cause of virus or the registry / system files corrupted. You can find related tools to fix the problem. If the problem is serious, consider to re-install the Operating System. It is recommended that you create two partitions. One is for your OS and the other is for your data.
7. Finally, it is important to take a detailed note for future use.
When you try to repair a computer, it is important to find out what you did before and also your focus should be on power supply, video, mother board, CPU and the hard drive.