Microsoft Word is more popular word processing software that is being used widely around the world. No any word processor software stands against MS Word. It gives powerful dictionary, spell checking system as well as grammatical checking. As it is more powerful there are some disadvantages in it. One of the biggest disadvantages is there is no recovery option if losing password for word document. I wonder why Microsoft doesn’t provide recover password option. However, there is other way to hack word password in your PC but it may cost some bucks.
So, here I am sharing my knowledge over MS Word Error “The password is incorrect. Word cannot open the document” error in 2003/07/2010/2013
When you get this error?
This password error mostly generated when you try to open password protected word document with your old password and suddenly gets following error message.
- The Password is incorrect. Word cannot open the document.
- The Password is incorrect.
A password prevents unauthorized access of your documents. Sometimes the old employee that leave office leave word file password protected. However, you have complete authority of word file but still you will become helpless. There may be dozens of scenario of word file locking. Microsoft says, you can open a password-protected document only if you supply the correct password.
We have discussed enough about the problems. Now it’s time to resolve the problem. Consider the following steps while entering password. Sometimes you have correct password in your hand but still you are unable to unlock word file.
- Make sure caps lock is off.
- Make sure your keyboard is working correctly. Several times I have encounter a simple keyboard problem is Shift button continuously works even you don’t push it. So, open notepad and make sure your keyboard is not entering extra char while you typing.
- If you are accessing word file over network or shared drive and getting password error then copy word file in local system and then try to login.
- Try Open or Repair tool for MS Word file. Sometimes MS Word file gets corrupted due to several reasons. Open MS Word and Go to File > Open. Select your word file and click down arrow icon on the Open button. There you select Open or Repair and Open the File
If still problem appears you need third party tool that could recover lost word password. You can use MS Office Password Recovery tool. I have tested this tool and it recovers exact password. There are many options in which you can provide some password hints and then software will recover your original password more quickly.