There are not few computer users ever experiencing Windows slow startup, and many of them never even know the reasons for slow startup. Having been disturbed by this for such a long time, now it’s time to fix it.
1. Disable unnecessary startup items
Too many startup items will cause low speed of bootup. In fact, many of them are unnecessary to start up with Windows. In order to disable them, you need:
- Start System Configuration Utility. Click “Start” and “Run”, type in “msconfig” and click “OK” to open System Configuration Utility.
- Click the tab “Startup”. Choose the unnecessary startup items and disable them.
After you finished this, restart your computer, then you will find that those unnecessary programs do not start with Windows any more.
2. Fix registry keys and values
You can edit some registry values to decrease the time of startup. But you should do this very careful, as any mistake would result in serious problems.
- Start Registry Editor. Click “Start” and “Run”, enter “regedit” and click “OK” to open Registry Editor.
- Open the submenus step by step: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER]->[Control Panel]->[Desktop].
- Modify values. Find [HungAppTimeout], and modify the value data to 200. And then modify the value data of [WaitToKillAppTimeout] to 1000.
When you finish the steps above correctly, you can find the startup is much faster than before.
3. Eliminate temporary files
Accumulation of temporary files would certainly lead to slow startup.
- Start Temporary Files Directory. Click “Start” and “Run”, enter “temp” and click “OK” to open Temporary Files Directory.
- Click the Edit menu. Click Select all.
- Click the File menu. Select Delete.
Remember: Never fail to make sure your folder which is opened includes a “temp" round the top of menu bar and also the folder suggests that it is a short-term folder.
4. Perform the disk scan
This can figure out whether the computer hard disk is at a healthy condition. Then you can judge if it is the time to defragment your disk.
Regularly carry out disk defragmentation is necessary to speed up Windows startup. make sure you perform defragmentation at least every month. Start your disk defragmentation from your system tools accessible in your accessories within the start menu. It needs a longer period and it's also recommended to never run any kind of applications within the computer system like the screen savers, when operating hard drive defragmentation.