It is possible to provide very good protection for your PC without spending any money. There are four excellent software packages that are available for free. All are for home, non-commercial, use, with the exception of Spybot which is free to everyone. These four packages can provide fairly comprehensive protection for your PC. The free software packages that you should download and install are:
- ZoneLabs Free ZoneAlarm
- AVG's AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
- Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE Personal
- Safer Networking's Spybot Search & Destroy
Together they provide protection from unauthorized access to your PC, virus protection, and adware/spyware protection. Using both Ad-Aware and Spybot provides better protection than just one of them alone. Occasionally, one will catch something that the other misses.
Things to Remember
- Keep ZoneAlarm up to date. ZoneAlarm will tell you when there is a newer version available and ask you if you want to install it. You should update ZoneAlarm when offered so that you are providing the most up-to-date firewall protection.
- Make sure that AVG is configured to:
- Automatically update its virus definitions database
- Automatically scan for viruses at least once a week
Alternatives are available for some of the packages listed here. Check here to see free alternatives to Free ZoneAlarm - http://www.low-cost-computing.com/Free_Firewall_Software. shtml. Check here to see free alternatives to AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - http://www.low-cost-computing.com/Free_Antivirus_Software. shtml.
Rob Pirozzi is a freelance writer who provides timely, quality professional writing of all types. He is also the publisher of the web site Low-Cost-Computing.com which provides information on low-cost computers and low-cost or free software for the average home or small business computer user.