Years ago, two of the most disastrous accidents happened. The first is the nuclear leak in Chernobyl, which has infected and killed hundreds of people in Russia. The second incident but in a smaller scale is better known as the Three Mile Island, which happened near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
As much as people are aware of the potential dangers of nuclear power, the community still needs it. This facility as well as others that are used as a depot are essential for the livelihood of the town.
Since such places are considered to be a potential risk to the surrounding community, the best thing anyone can do as of the moment is to create safety standards and have it enforced so major accidents do not happen.
There hasn’t been a major accident ever since the two happened more than twenty years ago. This means the government and those in charge of these facilities are doing something right as long as the proper precautions are being taken seriously
Here are some of the safety standards that refineries, nuclear plants and other facilities enforce making these places safe to have around.
1. First, surveillance cameras, monitors and sensors have to be calibrated to make sure nothing toxic contaminates the air or the water because this could threaten not only the people in the plant but the neighboring communities miles away.
2. The personnel are required to wear safety equipment such as helmets and suits to avoid being contaminated with radiation or anything that could endanger the lies of those outside the facility.
3. Before leaving the plant, the personnel have to undergo decontamination as well as inspection by the security team to make sure no sensitive materials will be brought out of the plant.
4. To ensure that the plant is following the safety standards set by government, a team of inspectors visits the place regularly. If there are potential problems, the one in charge can recommend that the facility be closed down for a few days until the errors have been rectified.
5. Other safety standards being observed is a no smoking facility inside the plant. Cellular phones should also be turned off because there have been studies that say this could cause an explosion. Such incidents have not happened yet but why take the chance?
6. Given that such facilities can be the target for terrorist attacks, security in such places have been tightened to protect those inside working as well as those living in the nearby areas.
Low Jeremy maintains http://calibration.articlesforreprint.com . This content is provided by Low Jeremy. It may be used only in its entirety with all links included.