What do you wish to achieve?
- Point to Point – two locations only at any one time
- Broadcast Live – from one site to many – watch and listen
- Broadcast pre-recorded – from one site to many – watch & listen
- Multipoint – three or more sites with Q&A between any, relayed to all
- Multipoint - three or more – plus broadcast from any to satellite sub-groups as a watch and listen.
- Live with session taped for future edit and distribution
- Person to person/s with video & audio & data manipulation across participants – e. g. sharing documents, drawings with or without live edit and audit of changes made.
With whom do you wish to communicate by videoconferencing?
- Only inside your company
- From your company to sister/ contractor/ supplier companies
- With your customers
- With your prospects
Frequency of system use
- Ad hoc
- Estimated use per annum (min/max)
- Custom built static installation – i. e. a designated room
- Desktop location/s – i. e. from the office desktop PC
- Mobile “roll-about" system -
- Off-site facilities required – going to a dedicated videoconference facility
- Record, Edit & Distribute by hardcopy (CD/DVD)
- Record, Edit & Distribute by softcopy (Web cast)
- Broadcast live via direct links to named recipients/ groups
- Broadcast pre-recorded across one or more time zones
- Log who watched and listened and when
- Multiple persons at One or Two (group to group videoconferencing – e. g.design teams, board to local management)
- Multiple participants at Three or more sites
What are your current IT capabilities?
- ISDN 1
- ISDN 2
- ISDN 30
- LAN – Cat5/ Cat5e/ Cat6
- LAN – Fibre
- LAN – wireless – type?
- WAN – bandwidth?
- VPN – bandwidth?
- Internet access, dial-up 56k
- Internet access , Dial-up 128K
- Internet access , Broadband 1Mb
- Internet access , Broadband 2Mb
- Internet access , Broadband 4 Mb
- Internet access , Satellite link
- Internet access , permanent fibre/ cable link
- T1 / T2 / T3 / T4 (aka DS-1/ DS-2/ DS-3/ DS-4)
- OC-1 / OC-3 / OC-12 / OC-38
Impact on your system – to be considered
- Bandwidth load
- Current capacity used & unused & reserved (max/ min for each)
- Planned bandwidth use – excluding video conferencing
- Contention ratio
- Video quality – predominantly static (talking head – Yes/No)
- Hardware at point of display
- Hardware at point of transmission
- Hardware at point of distribution
Points to consider
- What do you spend currently on flights/ travel/ accommodation per annum?
- Write-off period for cap ex
- Leasing options
- IT infrastructure
- Cost and timescale of increased capacity and hardware -if required
James Hunter works for Status AV , a premier provider of video conferencing solutions in the UK.